I NEED IDEAS!!!

What day of the week would you rather attend a Con-Ed class?  

52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Sunday
    • Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday

I am in charge of scheduling, developing and implementing con-ed courses for my service. I have classes scheduled until May. I am holding one class a month. I would like to offer more but I am running out of ideas for classes. Any suggestions would be a BIG help.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also ask the same question on a another EMS web site.. I received several helpful suggestions. Some were, Documentation, Abuse in the elderly & spousal, crime scene preservation tech, etc...

I am developing some programs including "lab interpretation skills for the Paramedic".

Just some ideas..

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Ideas 1. Airway Management ALS & BLS. 2. Mulit-12 Lead Ekg 3. IV Access Devices ( Caths, Central Lines & Ports ). 4. Things they never taught me in EMT/Paramedic school. 5. Sports Injuries. 6. EMS Geriatrics. 7. EMS Pediatrics. 8. EMS Pharmacology. 9. EMS Triva Contest. 10. Psychiatric Emergencies.

I asked my squad members the same question this year when I became responsible for scheduling classes. In addition to ideas already mentioned, they came up with: Cold Weather Emergencies and Summer Emergencies (we have a lot of lakes in our area - they cause issues in both the summer and winter), Spinal Injury Management and Respiratory Emergencies - especially what to do if no ALS available to assist.

As I discussed I am also in the same predicament. I am doing 2 things .. 1) Asking what programs or ideas they would like to do. 2) Administering a general Paramedic test , this is not graded for job performance etc.. just to see the weaker areas & and to help point out those areas that might need to be reviewed.

We are planning a "skills fair", session in where each medic will demonstrate, the proper use of equipment. Use of nebulizers, to I.M. injections on ped.'s etc,. This is to review some things we don't do every day as well as to document for adm. purposes.

Other classes we are including are advanced neurology assessment, public image & professionalism.

Again, I wish you the best of luck.

Ridryder 911

some of the classes i've been to include basic MCI management for EMS (intro to command - about a 3 hr class), fire rehab for ems, hazmat awareness....all done each in a few hours - also some vehicle rescue (practice pulling ppl out of cars, can be done w/ FD tearing apart), ALS assist, and pretty much everything else that's been suggested - oh yeah, and a START (triage) class for those lovely MCIs - simple triage and rapid transport i think it stands for

We had our attorney come in and give a class on legalities in EMS, i.e. the proper use of l/s, driving statutes, DNR's and how to handle them in the field. Also, the Good Sam act, injuries that must be reported, dealing with law enforcement and the requesting of information, that type of thing. Very informative. We have also had a class on handling a patient with osteogenesis imperfecta, aka brittle bone disease. That was informative as well.