Pre hospital X-ray, good idea?  

25 members have voted

1. 1.

• No, too much hassle.
    • yes, the way forward.

X-Rays in Ambulances???

What do you guys think?

DR systems now available in UK

Portable digital radiography (DR) systems are to be made available to UK ambulances, following the success of the technology in Italy.

An Italian hospital in Vicenza reported a marked increase in efficiency and standards of patient care after the implementation of the Canon DR x-ray system last year. Imaging systems provider, Xograph, now plans to make the equipment available in Britain.

The system will be installed into ambulances in order to make field examinations possible for paramedics. Using the equipment, images can be produced in less than three seconds after exposure and transmitted back to the hospital.

"The filmless hospital was initially seen as the main advantage of DR but as the innovation continues, the boundaries of the radiology department have expanded," said Neil Staff, technical director at Xograph.

"Today, portable x-ray solutions can be used in the field during military action, as a triage tool at roadside accidents and for remote examinations in nursing homes, prisons and forensic sites."

Hospital chiefs will be hoping that once installed, the system will speed up decision making and reduce congestion in A&E

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this time do not see any implications that would change outcome in treatment. You would still have to have a radiologist review, and to see fxr or not is no diference in treatment. Not to speak of the radiological implications. Ultrasound is a lot bettter idea, check for AAA and abdominal wounds as well as cardiac disorders and true psuedo PEA, and fetal movements as well.

Be safe,

R/R 911

I my city we are thirty miles from a level 1 trauma facility. We have a level 4 which serves as a hospital for stabilization, but they can not fix fractures. If we had the technology in the field we could make decisions to by-pass the level 4 and head straight to the proper receiving facility. I certainly hope the technology will be available to EMS in the near future.

The only place this will have any potential usefulness is in those areas that would be the very last to afford it. It's pointless in an urban system. And rural systems are still whining how they can't even afford to hire paramedics, so they're not going to show up in those areas.

Instead of all this focus on expanding the paramedics scope of practice, how about somebody seriously focusing on educating paramedics to the level they SHOULD be for the skills they already have?

Instead of all this focus on expanding the paramedics scope of practice, how about somebody seriously focusing on educating paramedics to the level they SHOULD be for the skills they already have?

That is the best comment I have ever read on an EMS forum :lol:

Here, Here Dust!

Much like any of the technology that has hit the streets in the last few years, those that can afford it need it the least, and those that can't need it the most.

ALS providers, by themselves, take a big piece of the budget for the rural providers. Then we discuss adding more tools without discussing how to fund the acquisition of them. The technology that is becoming available is interesting in concept, but the actual application of it can be troublesome to the small departments/agencies.

Please do not take what I had said in my previous post the wrong way......I should have said that I spent almost 2 years away from my family, my children and watching them grow and develop, missing out on football games, PTA meetings etc. to go to Medic school. And now it is my fiancee's turn to go to school, I am not going to mess that up for him........maybe when he is done with school and my children are a little bit older, then I would probably reconsider my choice, but now my family needs me more than I need to go to school (with the exception of CEU's). [/font:a506e6824b]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.