Pregnancy and EMS

Sassafras

How many weeks pregnant before a woman should get off the ambulance?  

22 members have voted

1. 1.

• 24-26 weeks
    • 26-28 weeks
    • 28-30 weeks
    • 30-32 weeks
    • as long as she feels she can do the job
    • other (explain)

How long do you guys think it's safe for a pregnant paramedic to be working in the field? Ladies, if you've been in this situation before, how long did you stay on the ambulance? Guys, if it were your wife/fiance/gf, does there come a point where you *insist* she take it easy (i.e. get off the ambulance) for safety's sake? I'm just curious as to other people's opinions on this subject. I have a co-worker that just had her baby last month, but stayed on the ambulance until her 35th week (and she was huuuuuuge) :shock: . It just seemed dangerous to me (only paramedic on the ambulance and a busy system). Opinions?

I believe one has to be very careful especially in the first trimester with all the exposure(s) and lifting. This can not be compared with nursing, with assistance in lifting, and usually patients are screened to help reduce exposure of communicable diseases etc. to expectant mothers.I have just found out OSHA actually has a sound decibel restriction for expectant mothers as well. This needs to be investigated as well for women in EMS.

Be safe,

R/R 911

With #1, I worked until the day I delivered (actually was at the hospital doing paramedic field internship and dragged up to OB by a classmate - delivered 6 hours later). Nothing wrong with her, 'cept for being a typical 12 year old!

With #2, I again, I worked until the day I delivered (worked as a FT ER tech and PT medic and FT nursing student) - left work early to go to 'delivering' hospital - delivered 10 hours later.

My first OB (whom I adore!!) made a wonderful statement - "Let's show this men that pregnancy isn't a disease!" He knew full well what I was doing and had absolutely no probems with it. In fact, he said something to the fact of "Go for it!!"

I worked with a female, she was seven months when she left for leave because she couldn't keep weight on.. she lost 16lbs (her baby was healthy, but she herself wasn't). She lifted, she stayed safe, and she didn't do anything in a way that was anything other than "normal" for an EMT to do. I've also worked with a medic who at 4 months pregnant "couldn't" do anything. She wanted me to lift everything, she had called for a lift asst. for an 80ish year old pt approx 105lbs. because I couldn't' do the whole backboard thing without some help (go figure a six foot backboard horizontal needing two people to lift safely..huh).

It all depends on the person. In all reality I would like to say as long as the EMS professional feels safe and able, but it seems some people really need to check themselves. As for a personal choice, I wouldn't work the field pregnant at all, I would find a nice cushy job in a doctor office or an exciting one without the lifting in the ER, but I wouldn't work the road. I do respect those who do though.

PP[/font:3dce9088fc]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.