Greetings!

jakemedic

So is this website still relevant?  30 yr paramedic here.  Not much shaking here.

Be safe Out There!

Jake

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, jakemedic said:

So is this website still relevant?  30 yr paramedic here.  Not much shaking here.

Be safe Out There!

Jake

Years ago I found this site as a brand new provider. It helped shape where I am now and put me in touch with mentors I am forever indebted to. Site activity has been quite low for some time now so It's difficult to say if it would serve a new provider the same as it did me.

I've been here for many years.  I've seen it when we had dozens of new posts a day, the chat room was jumpin and we had active members who checked this site on a daily basis.  

Now, it's lucky to see a new post once every two to three weeks.  

I still check this site about every 3-5 days or whenever the site decides to notify me of a new post which is hit or miss.  

Honestly I do not believe this site is relevant to a new provider as there just are not enough active members here to be a good site to come to.  Can that change - yes I believe it could but there are so many facebook groups that honestly are just as good as we Used to be.  We used to be the site of choice prior to Facebook becoming the place to be.  Now Facebook is the place and with Facebook's instant responsiveness, this site unfortunately cannot hold a candle to Facebook.  

Good discussion can be had here but there has to be people to discuss things with and I don't see that here.  There was a time a couple of months back that I wrote a post pointing out we had X number of members but in a period of X number of months there were only 2 new posts and a small number of replies to existing posts.  I was needless to say Dismayed but it is what it is.  

I'd love for this site to return to it's prominence it once had but I fear that it is never to be again.  Maybe but maybe not.  

Who knows, maybe someone else has a different take. 

EMT City,  Dinosaur still holding on?  Prove me wrong!!!

Oh my goodness Mike, you hit the nail on the head.  

There have been more jobs lost, more marriages ruined, more relationships destroyed and more homes ruined by facebook than any other electronic medium every before.  

I personally know of at least 20 couples who have divorced because of facebook. 

I personally know of 30 people who have lost their jobs due to inappropriate facebook postings. 

I have multiple friends at work, church, and outside church who's children have sent Dickpics/naked pics to their girlfriends/boyfriends that have then gone viral over other media and it has ruined their childrens lives.  

I actually counsel and do small group lectures/sessions around my area on how to address it when this does happen to your family.  

Facebook is not the only culpret.  There are other social media sites that are just as bad, some are even worse, some MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.  

I am putting together a teaching slideshow that I will be using with my small groups and hopefully be able to get this citywide/statewide someday.  If I can get a non-profit put together and a sponsor group to back me I would love to take it nationwide because I feel so strongly about it.  

Guys/gals - I have 2 daughters 7 and 9 years old, and a 16 year old son.  it's out there and ready and waiting for them.  My son is a good kid, he's already been hit with some of the garbage that is out there.  I weep for those who have been hit harder than we have.  

I set up my son's facebook account when he hit age 14.  It has all the privacy filters and such.  I have his password, I am his friend on facebook, his mother is his friend on facebook. We see every post he posts, he posts maybe 1-2 times every week.  he knows the risks and dangers but he still got caught up in the cesspool of the other dangerous social media sites.  I won't go into it here.  It was not as bad as it could have been and we got through it.  

I have Police officer friends who work in Kansas City's Sex trafficking undercover world and I've been on their raids, and I watched them arrest a shit bag who was getting ready to have sex with a 3 year old.  I cried my eyes out for 2 days.  But she is safe and in foster care.  I wanted to kill the guy and so did the officers but he is spending the rest of his life amongst the worst of the worst.  It's awful and terrible.  These are the officers that I've worked with to build some of my material.  I've also worked with officers who work cyber crimes and crimes against minors division.  

it's out there, and our job to keep our kids safe.  

Sorry that this got off the rails but it's on us to keep our families safe, especially our daughters.  and our son's.  

More to come 

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 8:30 PM, rock_shoes said:

Years ago I found this site as a brand new provider. It helped shape where I am now and put me in touch with mentors I am forever indebted to. Site activity has been quite low for some time now so It's difficult to say if it would serve a new provider the same as it did me.

I am not an EMT but I do respect the craft,  BUT I do not agree with all the stuff.   Like AMA, Informed Consent and autonomy.  

Edited by Chaewon
poor typing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.