I need assistance finding a medical director

I find it interesting that you are starting an ambulance service but don't know where to find a medical director. Have you budgeted for one? If you don't know where to find one how do you know how much it will cost you?

Do you have friends that work EMS in your area? I would start by asking around to see who the medical directors are in your area. 

Unless somebody in the forum is close to your area I doubt that we can help you specifically. 

Its possible that a simple google search of the other ambulance services in your area will give you their medical directors.

I also find it interesting that you are starting an ambulance service and don't have a medical director yet.  that would have been my first order of business after deciding on whether or not I wanted the headache and digestive problems of starting an ambulance service.  At least with my medical director chosen early I could probably get the prescriptions to help me with the anxiety, headaches and gut problems that will come with this venture. 

No plain old doctor will do for a medical director, you need one that understands EMS, a podiatrist or OB GYn won't cut it.  You at least need a critical care doc or better yet an Emergency dept physician.  

Not busting your balls here but why haven't you procured the services of a medical director?

3 minutes ago, Just Plain Ruff said:

No plain old doctor will do for a medical director, you need one that understands EMS, a podiatrist or OB GYn won't cut it.  You at least need a critical care doc or better yet an Emergency dept physician.  

Well, they COULD be the MD. But..... are they qualified for the role? I know a couple of services around here have a family doctor that is their MD. I do not know anything regarding those doctor's history and background though. 

2 hours ago, brentoli said:

Well, they COULD be the MD. But..... are they qualified for the role? I know a couple of services around here have a family doctor that is their MD. I do not know anything regarding those doctor's history and background though. 

Ok I'll give you the win on could they be the MD but do you want a family doc as a medical director of a EMS service?  I think not. 

Texas requires medical directors to be ER physicians or have some special CE about being a medical director that is hard to find. This isn't commonly known and at one service our family medicine medical director was brought under investigation by the Texas Medical Board for this. I would check with the stats to see if Georgia has this requirement.

• 1 month later...

Ahhhh, as a businessman/entrepreneur, I always find it fascinating when people are 30 steps ahead of step 1. Your business is pre-destined for failure currently. A basic business plan would have included the need for a MD, how much to pay one and where to find one. The fact you have none of this, come online asking where to find one, indicates while your spirit may be true, your plan is not.

Advice--Go back to the drawing board. Start all over and do the BP proper, from the beginning and quite seriously unless you have a financier, independent wealth or several top dollar contracts signed (pre-start-up? which is weird)....you are going to bankrupt in 6-12 months and that is me being very generous with time. 

You are going to need at least 500K of free flowing capital to scrape by...this is AFTER all your other expenses, start up costs, etc.  

9 hours ago, akflightmedic said:

Ahhhh, as a businessman/entrepreneur, I always find it fascinating when people are 30 steps ahead of step 1. Your business is pre-destined for failure currently. A basic business plan would have included the need for a MD, how much to pay one and where to find one. The fact you have none of this, come online asking where to find one, indicates while your spirit may be true, your plan is not.

Advice--Go back to the drawing board. Start all over and do the BP proper, from the beginning and quite seriously unless you have a financier, independent wealth or several top dollar contracts signed (pre-start-up? which is weird)....you are going to bankrupt in 6-12 months and that is me being very generous with time. 

You are going to need at least 500K of free flowing capital to scrape by...this is AFTER all your other expenses, start up costs, etc.  

AK, how the heck have you been?  it's been like 2 years or so since I've seen you here.  I hope all is well.  And I tried to tell the person that they needed a doc straight away, but doesn't seem like they liked any of our answers so far.  

Edited by Just Plain Ruff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.