Corn Maze EMT--What to Carry?

cranraz

Hey guys, 

Just this summer I got my EMT certification, and I secured a job at a very popular, busy corn maze for this Halloween season. I'm one of four EMT's that they hire, and they ask us each to carry our own first aid bags (and they will reimburse anything we use). My question is, what should I carry in my bag? I'll start with PPE, but I'd like to know what exactly I'll need or potentially need to use. What do you guys think? 

Keep in mind, Paramedics are only about 10/15 minutes away. Thanks guys!

Edited by cranraz

A couple of concerns

1.  Do you have a medical director or someone covering your medical procedures?  If not, you probably should stick with first aid only.  Without one, you basically have no recourse if something goes wrong.  NO medical director, no EMT level skills - first aid only. 

2.  Are they covering your liablity insurance or insurance to cover you if you do something and that something goes wrong and you get sued, who will cover the attorneys and court costs of your defense???

3.  Why don't they have their own bags already???  I think this limits their liability and that's why they do that.  

If you are still comfortable with doing this job - here's a med kit that is basic and will give you good coverage for first aid ONLY issues.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YMANLA/ref=asc_df_B000YMANLA5177188/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000YMANLA&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167156418710&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5451542862930969891&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023859&hvtargid=pla-309047212005

Alright so I did not read this thread, so I'll just ask - why would you want to work in the middle of Bumblefucktown, USA when you could be doing real work and actually learning something? If you are young, move to a big city and get an apartment, get a job as an EMT/medic/fireman/cop/whatever and pound the pavement for 5-10 years.  Really understand the salt of this Earth and what is 'real' - and then you can move back to Utah or Pennsylvania or whatever 1 person/sq mile area you were born in, and "settle in", and grow a gut and grow out your hair like a god damn hippy :D

1 hour ago, Inf said:

Alright so I did not read this thread, so I'll just ask - why would you want to work in the middle of Bumblefucktown, USA when you could be doing real work and actually learning something? If you are young, move to a big city and get an apartment, get a job as an EMT/medic/fireman/cop/whatever and pound the pavement for 5-10 years.  Really understand the salt of this Earth and what is 'real' - and then you can move back to Utah or Pennsylvania or whatever 1 person/sq mile area you were born in, and "settle in", and grow a gut and grow out your hair like a god damn hippy :D

As much as I'd love to do all that you just mentioned... Living near Salt Lake City, UT, all the fire departments/ambulance services don't hire EMT's very often at all. Because of the high call volume anywhere within 40 miles around here they mainly hire AEMT's and Paramedics. EMT's around here kind of have to work the crappy jobs before even being considered at a department. Things like event centers, rural ambulance services, or odd jobs like corn mazes and theme parks.

Once you have some experience in those, you either get your Advanced (or are already in training for it), or hopefully get hired on at a Fire Department and work for them while getting your Advanced.

I am moving to a more rural area soon, so after this corn maze deal, I'll probably be able to get some real work. Sucks, but I'll keep applying to Fire Departments and ambulance services and hope I get some luck and snag one of those good ones, and not have to work the crap jobs forever. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.