new nyc emt

jkahanov770

13 hours ago, jkahanov770 said:

hi all, just graduated, and awaiting my ny state card.  very excited!  so just looking for tips on good places to start my career, i am a total newbie but want a good start with best company to grow with benefits.  thanks.

Lot's of good info in this site from good people.  Listen to the advice given it may save you a lot of heartache in the long run.  

We know that you probably only want 911 or emergency transport experience but that's very competetive (at least in Missouri it is, I would assume New York is as well) so look into getting experience in a non-emergency service as well.  

Listen, watch, ask questions, drive safely(you have not only your life in your hands but your partners, your patients an oftentimes at least one other family members in your hands as well).  

Learn  your job and do it well before trying to learn the medics job.  (many of my emt's never learned that aspect of their role). 

Know where everything is on your truck, down to the alcohol swabs.  You never know when you are going to need to go get some for your partner.  

i know you asked about places to work, but this is good solid advice for a newbie.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.