Midterm tomorrow and I still feel unprepared

So,  I decided to take the intense 5 week course (Monday-Friday 9-5.. FML) and my midterm is tomorrow.  Ive been cramming through JB learning, YouTube videos and Quizzlet. Also, Going through all of the previous exams and taking notes.  My current GPA is 83 (Idk if its the same for everyone but we must maintain an 80% or above to pass.  The midterm counts for 30% of our final grade) so I don't have much room for error.   Im super nervous about the Scene size up/Patient Assesment skills part.  Does anyone have and tips/tricks/suggestions/good study guides to help????? 

So is this a EMT course?  First off, let me wish you luck.  Now let me say some things about these courses

Do you feel like you have learned what you paid to learn?  Do you have other outside commitments that have kept you from your studies?  Kids?  husband? work?  

This is the problem in my opinion about these courses

1.  You have 5 weeks to learn what others are given at least an entire college semester to learn.  Unless a student is super motivated and really has ABSOLUTELY NO other commmitments in their life, this type of course is definatley NOT for them

2.  The accelerated nature of this type of course does not give much wiggle room to return to a subject that you might not understand to get more knowledge on.  At least in a longer course structure period you could revisit something and get more info on it, this type of course doesn't seem to allow it unless you spend your minimal extra time reviewing.  It seems like your shortcomings in this class is the Scene size up and Patient assessment skills which is a big part of what an EMT does.  

Honestly,  I am not a big fan of these courses.  But I truly wish you luck on your endeavor.  I think you have been using some of the better resources to prepare but this may not have been the correct format for you to learn though.  Not a negative comment directed at you though, this 5 week course may not fit your learning style.  

Hey there,

Thank you very much for the feedback and encouragement!

I recently quit my job of 10 years being a graphic designer. I've always wanted to be part of an EMS team. Fortunately, I found an opportunity to pursue it, so I dove right in. HEAD FIRST! I chose the 5 week course only because it was really the only free time I would have to dedicate myself to it. My daughter spends the summer with her father, so currently this class is my 9-5 job, and with TONS of overtime being put in studying when I get home. But you are very correct. There really isnt enough time to let the information from one chapter soak in before your on to the next. We cover about 4-5 chapters a day and usually take a modual exam 2-3 times a week. Its an information overload. We have barely been alotted enough time to practice hands on skills. Between covering the text book and doing push ups (which me all are made to do if 1 person in our class messes up or doesnt have their uniform properly pressed/tucked in.)

Clinicals are also starting. 90 hr abulance and 65 hr ER. (Good thing is, we are put in a major trauma center in Orlando, FL) I really love this field so far. And am certainly trying my best. But the overload of information is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. If I do end up failing I think I am for sure going to take the 3 1/2 month course. At least I will already have some knowledge (and a HUGE hole in my wallet.)

LINDSAY

Hi Lindsay,  you mean that if one of you mess up you have to do push ups or their uniforms not pressed or tucked in.  What a bunch of powerhungry douche bags.  I'm sorry that they put you through that sort of crap.  That type of stuff does absolutely nothing but make the rest of you resent the one who is having problems.  I already dislike this program already.  

Please don't take an accelerated paramedic course.  And I honestly do hope you do pass.  

But one piece of advice if you do pass and get your EMT license.  Immediately enroll in a state recognized EMT refresher course, because you are going to need it based on the accelerated pace of this course and trying to learn 4-5 chapters a day, pretty tough to learn 4-5 chapters out of a history book, let alone a medical book, even if it is a basic EMT book.  A good physician friend of mine once told me  "Michael, you really don't know what you really don't know, when you really don't know" and this is a prime example of that quote.  

Persevere and keep on keeping on.  

Good luck, but your program truly is run by a bunch of douchebags.  push ups, that's rich.  and yes, you can show your instructors this reply, well maybe not, they might make you do push-ups till you drop.  

Edited by Just Plain Ruff

is this paramedic or emt?  i finally graduated emt b and super happy because it was my 3rd shot at the course.  Each time I learned how to study, the first school was not nice and many failed.  The resent school used the brady pearson book, with brady lab.  try to get this book and brady lab, it will prepare you more than jb-i didn't like jb, too wordy and the online compenent was meh.  do quizlet's and get the emt crash course book on amazon and do the onine test.  also get the app emt tutor-its free in amazon underground and do mainly practice questions.  read as much text book as you can and repeat. good luck, 5 weeks is too short, i did 5 months and took class three times, but each to his own-its challenging.

They made us all go outside and do catipillar pushups today because 1 girl kept talking even after being asked to stop 3 times.  I failed the written exam with a 73,  but passed the skills with a 100.  

The instructors say that their school is THEE BEST in all of central Florida.  (Look it up,  its called First Response Training Group LLC) They are good people with experience,  but seriously,  the time being spend on push ups is waisted learning time.  Especially when we really don't have much time to begin with.   I really am pationate about this field but now am really doubting it.  IF we pass the course,  we take the NREMT exam.  

for assessments, you need good sheets that break it down.  get someone to test you, i didn't think i could do it and a few months ago i was lost, but i past the tests.  my schools site has sheets as does ny state, you need to be able to cover the basis, mainly the critical areas they test on, and then the extras. 

so are you still in or is that the exam that kicks you out, the first time i failed midterm, second the final, and now finally passed finals and passed the state.  do it again and don't cram in 5 weeks, and maybe go elsewhere.

Well they can say they are THEEE BEST all they want but what's their pass rate for students on the national registry?  that's the proof if they are the best. 

If their students can't pass the registry then they haven't done their job. 

Again, if they make you do push ups and other physical punishment because of someone else's issue, that's douchbaggery 101, it sounds like they are modelling it after boot camp.  YOu aren't paying money to the school to help them discipline someone else.  

But you are in it now so play along with the pseudo-drill sergeants and if the troublemakers keep making trouble, it might be time to have a come to jesus meeting with them.  

• Like 1

Just an update.  I ended up taring my acl during a cardio "punishment" yesterday.  Now I am laid up and unable to Finnish out the last 2 weeks of school.  Beyond pissed and feeling defeated!  Next time,  im choosing a different program for sure.