6 June 1944

paramedicmike

that picture makes me realize real heroes.  I am not really sure I would have had the guts to get out of that boat and swim towards that beach when all around me my friends and fellow soldiers were dying.  I just don't know. 

That must have been some scary stuff.  I can't image being 18 and jumping out there.  There is a reason they are the Greatest Generation.

I wonder what the life expectancy on Omaha Beach was?  10 seconds? 60 seconds?  Long enough to make it to the sand?  

Some didn't even make it to the sand. The landing craft might have been hit by mortar fire with no regard if you got off it or not.

The Allies lost a lot of good men that Longest Day.

James Doohan, who would go on to portray Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott in Star Trek (The Original Series), was one of the Canadian troops to be wounded during that day.

Reportedly, actor Charles Durning was having nightmares from that battle for decades, actually waking up screaming.

There were probably other actors who fought that battle, not as actors, but as Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, "Coasties", and Marines, but these 2 come quickly to mind.

We thank them for their sacrifices.

It's well known that the movie "Saving Private Ryan" has been said to be the most realistic portrayal of that day according to many vet's who were there, on those boats based on many interviews with said vets.  

When I went to see Saving Private Ryan, I could hear the quiet weeping and even open weeping from men and women in the theater from that scene.  I saw several Older men leave the theater only to come back after that scene was over.