Epileptic Seizures Signs & PNES Signs

Hello!!

I wanted to get your experience on what you look for, what you have heard doctors & nurses look for to tell the difference between epileptic seizures and PNES?

I hope we can all have a good learning discussion about these difficult conditions. 

I know like we all should, that there are sooo many different types of seizures and that the brain is such a complex organ that no one is right or wrong in this. 

I have been learning that doctors, EMTs, paramedics, have been basically treating everyone the same who shows up or needs an ambulance the same when it comes to seizures. I really try to be safe than sorry and doctors are suppose to treat ever seizure patient like they are having a true seizure unless it's obvious or they know they don't have seizures what do you think?

Good question, however, a bit more background would be helpful. There have been users in the past who have asked similar questions with topics deteriorating into train wrecks of their personal problems. Maybe provide a bit more clarity on your background and rationale for posting and I'm sure you'll get some informative replies

• Like 1

PNES signs?  Like Throckmorton's?

Now that I got the childish urge out of the way, on to the OP.  I'm not sure what you meant by saying that doctors are supposed to treat every seizure pt like they are having a real seizure.  We treat pts based on history, exam and experience.  Some people are faking and easy to spot, "I'm still seizing and need 20mg of Valium to stop!"  PNES are not fake, they are a true psychological response to a stressful stimuli.  Without more details from the OP it's hard to know what else to say.

I mean Doc, aren't you supposed to treat all pain with 2.0 mg Dilaudid er I mean Dilaupid until proven otherwise?

Edited by Just Plain Ruff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.