HIPAA Violation?

Thanks Mike. I already filed a complaint with them too.

21 minutes ago, emt2359 said:

For the purpose of discussion, what if this was was just a scanner buff that recorded it and sent it out?

The moderators of Ghettomedic are not however. They are also paramedics and they would know who uploaded the video.

Edited by Arctickat

"

25 minutes ago, paramedicmike said:

Don't assume.  My comments to which you are referring were directed at you.

50 minutes ago, Arctickat said:

Can you justify your comments?  You said that I was unable to distinguish between normal course of completing a call vs social media ridicule.  I re-read my comment and I don't see that.  

My first line stated that the act was tasteless.

My second line answered the question posed in the title line.

Edited by emt2359

1 hour ago, emt2359 said:

"HIPAA broadly permits ambulances services and dispatch agencies to communicate any treatment-related information over the airwaves."

Here is a great read:

HIPAA Didn’t Kill the Radio Star
http://psc.apcointl.org/2010/08/26/hipaa-radio-emd/

Comments and link provided by you demonstrating that you either missed the point of the OP, misunderstood it completely, or have no comprehension regarding the topic of discussion.

The question is not whether ambulance services are allowed to transmit certain information over the airwaves as necessary to complete the call as argued by your quotation and linked article.  The question is not whether those radio transmissions are legal or if they violate federal patient privacy laws again as argued by you with your quotation and linked article.  The question is did the bonehead who recorded this and posted it to a social media website violate federal patient privacy laws by recording information containing details commonly considered to be protected (i.e. patient's address and identifying information such as gender and age) and posting it to a social media website?  Just because the radio transmissions may be covered under existing law does not mean that their subsequent recording and public social media display are also covered.

36 minutes ago, paramedicmike said:

or have no comprehension regarding the topic of discussion

Mike, if you would like to have an adult conversation I am willing to engage in one with you, but this underlying negative tone is making it difficult.

I was looking at the video and responding from the view of if the transmission should be made or not.  That was the basis of my response and link.   

Looking at it from the perspective of did the recorder and poster create a HIPAA liability, it depends.

Does the person work for the the same agency and is that agency a covered entity?  If the answer is yes, there may be a liability.

If the person does not have a HIPAA connection to the patient, then I don't think there is a HIPAA issue.

If there is not connection to the patient through employment or affiliation, then this is not any different than a person video taping the call from the side of the road and uploading it to youtube.  

Is it morally wrong, yes. I don't think anyone here is questioning that.

Edited by emt2359
  • Like 1

I have worked both as a communications officer with 911 and on my off days as a paramedic with the local ambulance service for over 24 years.  We were a small operation but it made for easier communications between the ambulances and 911 crews.  If we had important info to pass on to the ambulance crew we called them direct by phone.  If we paged responders to the scene we had their person on scene to call 911 if there was something that needed relaying.  If it was something life threatening we would put it on the air so that law enforcement could also hear the situation ("family member with a gun" etc).  I agree the video was inappropriate.  The intimate details did not

When I was in class, my teacher said we could get in big trouble posting "had a bad day" in regards to a call.   So, I was mislead appropriately...I digress.  

Content has been removed, but that's just poor taste.  Glad it's no longer up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.