HIPAA Violation?

Anyone here follow the Ghettomedic facebook page? I started a while ago and for the most part there is some funny stuff on there. This post however:

https://www.facebook.com/GhettoMedic/videos/1658091117552123/

seriously pisses me off.

It provides the street address, Town, patient information and call information regarding the call.

What's worse, this is a call about a teen girl and her partner in a sensitive situation and the comments section is going crazy with stupidity. I protested and I have been banned from the page. I've filed several complaints to Facebook without success. The EMS agency involved denies that any of their people uploaded the video and Law Enforcement has been requested to investigate.

What do you think? Am I over reacting?

Edited by Arctickat

So, I don't think law enforcement will help, because they don't deal with HIPAA violations. 

I think this is a super gray area, that wouldn't be easily fought, but I do agree that this was an inappropriate post. 

Unless you can definitively prove it's from a specific company, it's going to be REALLY hard to get a company to admit one of their people did this because no one will want to deal with the repercussions of a possible HIPAA violation. It's wrong, but it's reality. I'm not sure there's anything you can do unless, like I said, you can definitively prove that it was directly from their company. 

Ghettomedic is not very good about accepting any kind of criticism, it's kind of sad. Anyone who disagrees with them gets instantly blocked. 

-C

Tasteless - Yes

HIPAA violation, most likely not.

"HIPAA broadly permits ambulances services and dispatch agencies to communicate any treatment-related information over the airwaves."

Here is a great read:

HIPAA Didn’t Kill the Radio Star
http://psc.apcointl.org/2010/08/26/hipaa-radio-emd/

Edited by emt2359

There's an enormous difference between transmitting patient related information over the airwaves in the normal course of completing a dispatched 911 call and an after the fact provision of detailed patient information in a Facebook post open for public discussion.  If you are unable to distinguish between the two, normal course of completing a call vs social media ridicule, then perhaps EMS, health care in general and any profession requiring discretion and accommodating the confidentiality of your patients/clients may not be for you.

Just to be clear. I'm not talking about the dispatch information. I'm talking about the fact that someone recorded it, address and community included, and posted it on Facebook.

I've seen kids commit suicide for less than that.

I tried reporting it Mike, Facebook says it doesn't contravene their standards.

For those who can't view the video it states the EMS company, Town, Strert Address, responding for a teen female with her braces caught in her boyfriend's genitals.

I am sure someone knows someone in that station that recorded it.  Whoever recorded it and sent it out should be fired for acts that are unprofessional.  

For the purpose of discussion, what if this was was just a scanner buff that recorded it and sent it out?

15 minutes ago, emt2359 said:

I assume you are directing that to those that posted the video.

Don't assume.  My comments to which you are referring were directed at you.

13 minutes ago, Arctickat said:

Just to be clear. I'm not talking about the dispatch information. I'm talking about the fact that someone recorded it, address and community included, and posted it on Facebook.

I've seen kids commit suicide for less than that.

I tried reporting it Mike, Facebook says it doesn't contravene their standards.

For those who can't view the video it states the EMS company, Town, Strert Address, responding for a teen female with her braces caught in her boyfriend's genitals.

Kat,

The link I embedded is to report it to the US Department of Health and Human Services.  They would be the governmental investigating and enforcement agency that would look into situations like what you're reporting.  If they deem it a violation they'll pursue it with some pretty hefty fines and legal consequences for the offending agency (agencies) or individuals involved. 

Facebook's explanation is one of the many reasons I gave up on them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.