Smartest thing youve ever seen a patient/family member do

Just Plain Ruff

Ok, we've all seen the stupid things a patient do or a family member do for a patient.  Let's discuss something a little different. 

What is the smartest thing you have seen a patient do for themself or a family member do for a patient.  

This could be something that someone did for a patient that saved their life or helped save a life or even just made your role as a rescuer easier!

Come on, blow us away with smart people or smart things done by people out there, come on, I'm sure theres at least one or two instances of Pure Genius.  

Why is it so hard to remember somebody doing something good? I have thousands of stupid people stories...here is a good one.

We were dispatched to a residence for an unresponsive person. Dispatch instructions were a tad more ridiculous than normal. No address or info. Upon arrival a little girl let us in, she was 5, hadn't started school yet. She was alone with the mom, mom had been cooking and fell and hit her head on the stove. The little girl knew to call 911, didn't know her address, but enough so we could find the house fairly easily. She unlocked the door for us. If she hadn't known to call 911 the woman would have surely died. 

The good things are usually the little things that we don't even think about.  Clear numbers on the house so it's easy to find.  Clear pathway to the house and to the pt once inside the house.  Dogs put away so they don't become an issue.  List of meds/hx or meds easily available.  Parents helping to calm a child instead of feeding into the stress and anxiety the child is feeling and making the situation worse.  Although it was said tongue-in-cheek, calling 911 is probably the single most important thing they can do.  Without it, nothing else happens.

This guys mom walked him down three flights of stairs and had him sit down on the lawn after she called us for his asthma exacerbation. If he was under 375, I couldn't tell. She did it before he wouldn't be able to, cause he couldn't by the time we got there. Don't know if the trip down the stairs made it worse or not, but I could have kissed that old gal.

The best thing that I think one patients wife do was give her husband an aspirin and his nitro prior to our arrival.  

One other thing was not remove the scissors from the man's chest.  he was walking across the dining room and fell.  The scissors he was carrying ended up in his left chest, causing a closed pneumo.  He wanted to pull em out but his wife refused to let him.  This probably saved his life.  

Called for elderly female with chest discomfort.  Patient was non english speaking grandmother where 8 year old grandson on scene and initiated 911.  This little fellow was the best interpreter I have ever had, even against the paid individuals utilized at the hospitals we serve.  I had the little guy ride along and he immediately and understandably interpreted and relayed every piece of vital information need to assist his grandmother.....and I am talking medical related terminology.  When arrived at cardiac center, the staff was wondering where my interpreter was.  I just pointed at the little guy and said 'use him'.  They were not impressed and started to go into panic mode to call someone to interpret.  I immediately confronted them and stated that this little fellow was the best interpreter I have ever encountered and probably would be the best they would ever encounter.  Skepticism was rampant, but after I coaxed further information and questioning where his abilities were shown, the staff shut there traps and were in awe.  

I lost track of what happened, but I am sure that he is providing real good care to someone now......

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Agreed P_Instructor. Some of the most useful family members I've ever dealt with were grandchildren who were able to translate like a boss. No one seems to have picked up on one of the obvious ones though. Timely good quality CPR after calling 911. If nobody does CPR for 6-8 minutes before I get there odds of bringing back a brain are pretty damn low.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.