Hello from Maryland

_BrookeC

Hello everyone! My name is Brooke. I am a Deputy/EMT-B that's participating in a pilot program within my Sheriffs Department. 

I have been a Deputy for about two years now and I have been an EMT-B for about three years now. Before joining the sheriffs department while I was in college I volunteered with a local fire department and concurrently at that time I was employed with a non-emergent transport company mainly working inner-facility transports and events. 

When I first heard rumors of this pilot program being talked about I was obviously a major advocate. Deputies that are crossed trained also receive tactical casualty care training as well.

We respond to any cardiac calls, diabetic calls, respitory calls, overdoses, and also any traumatic injury calls  (including MVAs, technical rescues, etc) as a secondary sheriffs unit; even if the call is in our assigned zone. Typically for calls in our zone we respond as the primary sheriffs unit but when dispatched for medical we become the primary incoming medical unit (even outside of our assigned zones) after we are placed as the secondary incoming unit. If EMS is already on scene we just respond as a secondary incoming unit and do not respond as primary incoming medical. If EMS is not on scene we act as the primary medical unit (as stated above) and remain the primary medical unit until ALS arrives and we transfer care. After the care is transferred we switch back to either the primary unit (if in our assigned zone for that shift) or remain as the secondary sheriffs unit if outside of our assigned zone. On rare occasions if the ambulances or medic units are backed up we will respond to normal medical calls (including outside of our zone or even jurisdiction as long as we stay within the state). We will stay on scene until a transport unit arrives then transfer care. 

My goals are to obtain my medic certification and work as a Trooper/Medic for the Maryland State Police Aviation Section. Now and then I get a chance to ride with the aviation section. This  is an experience I highly reccomend to anyone to try if a medevac service is near by that offers ride alongs to first responders. 

I look forward to getting to know everyone on here. :)

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.