Soon to be an EMT

Hey, I'm new here on this forum..... My name is, Seth, and I'm a Senior in High School. I graduate in June of 2017, and I was recently accepted to my local Community College (Which is Tarrant County College), for the EMT class during Summer of 2017. I plan on getting my EMT cert., and doing that for a while. I eventually want to do Nursing, but I screwed up in previous years, so colleges would most likely laugh in my face, If I applied to them. My plan is to go to EMT School, move up the levels as an EMT, then bridge over from Paramedic to RN. My end plan is to be a CRNA. Can anyone give me any tips, words of advice, or anything like that? It will be greatly appreciated..... Another question I also have is, is it easy to find a job after course completion, being that I won't have any experience as an EMT? I have work experience but not anything relevant to EMS... Also how hard is the NREMT? I was told by my mom who was an EMT, in the 90's, that the test made her want to pull her hair out.

Congrats on having a clear picture of what you want to do!  Why not take classes at the community college to work towards your RN?  There are a lot of pre-requisites needed and you could get a jump start on those.  I was a paramedic before nursing, but more because I had no clue what I wanted to do with my future and I hung out in EMS for a while doing some soul searching.

On 10/27/2016 at 9:39 PM, ERDoc said:

Why do you want to be a CRNA instead of an anesthesiologist?

Because not everyone wants to be a MD! :D

On 10/29/2016 at 8:16 PM, scubanurse said:

Because not everyone wants to be a MD! :D

And that is what's wrong with America today.B)  I didn't mean it to come off like that, lol.  It just seems that if someone is starting in high school, it is just as long to go either route.  It's different for someone who has been a nurse and already meets most of the prereqs.  

Agree with ERDoc. If one has been a nurse for a while and is looking to go back to school that's one thing. For someone in high school just starting out it's completely different. 

Seth: if you really want to do anesthesia go to medical school and becom an anesthesiologist. You aren't a nurse. You don't know if you'll even enjoy being a nurse to make the decision to become a CRNA.

If you *really* want to be a nurse then be a nurse. If you *really* want to do anesthesia go to medical school. 

Nursing is a different school of thought though and sometimes people agree with the nursing model more than the physician model.  Same reason people want to become NP's instead of PA's.  Do what you are passionate about, and research the differences between the nursing model and the physician model.  Do which ever speaks to you and your beliefs.