Making return to play calls at youth football games

DMGroup

You mean making the decision to let a head injured or possibly concussed player return to the game?  I would say yes you would be acting above your pay grade.  

Let me ask you this,  do you feel qualified to make this decision based on this scenario

Player is hit really hard, knocked out on the field,  comes to about 25 or so seconds later and is helped off the field by you and the coach.  Player answers your questions somewhat appropriately but not immediately.  He finally answers the questions and acts fully normal after two full sets of 4 downs.  

The coach comes to you and says, I want Joe Football player back in the game.  The player wants to play.  The player's folks want him in the game.  The player is their star running back and he's in line for a full ride to Clemson or Notre Dame so he needs all the playing time he can get.  So the pressure is on.  

He says "Come on doc, I'm fine, I feel fine"  

Do you feel qualified based on his LOC now, his LOC previously to make that decision to allow him back on the field?  

Think long and hard on this, as both his health and your licensure are on the line here.  

not busting your balls or anything here, just giving you a scenario that plays out at hundreds of high school football games every single season.  

10 minutes ago, Off Label said:

No, he's not.

My opinion as well but I wanted to add a scenario.  

I can say that if my football team had an EMT giving permission to return to play I would seriously be questioning the thought process of the leadership of that program.  

I think that a paramedic is stretching it for this level of decision as well.  

I am not an EMT. I know that possible concussions need to be seen by a doctor. I was told that an EMT can only provide basic life support and transportation for such an event. Here's a scenario, if a child comes off with a hit to the abdomen or possible fracture can an EMT determine that the hit to the abdomen does not require a doctor to take further evaluation or the same with the possible fracture?

I get the suspicion OP is trolling for support in a lawsuit.  If not a lawsuit there is some as yet unknown gain being pursued. 

Why are you asking, OP?  What's your purpose for asking?  If you have specific questions about an event you either experienced or encountered personally then your best bet is to engage in conversation with the participants involved the actions you're referencing.  We are unable to address a specific event that carries more variables than could easily be discussed in this type of format.

• Like 1

No, I am not sueing anybody. I am head of first aid for youth sports, I am a volunteer and I'm trying to get our committee to hire either EMTs or athletic trainers. I am told EMTs can only transport but yet some leagues are using them? I'm being told by athletic trainers who cost more that they are the only ones that can make those calls. So I am just confirming what is true because this is my background.

That would've been good information to lead with.  Making your intentions clear from the get go might have helped with faster, more direct answers.

Presumably your organization has insurance to cover this sort of thing.  Insurance companies tend to have lawyers who will have an opinion on how to approach this so as to reduce their liability.  You may also consider approaching the medical director for your local EMS agency or hospital emergency department to discuss with them.  If this is a school or school district organization the school district likely has rules/policies in place to address the very questions you're asking.  If this is not a school or school district organization asking your local school district on policies they use/follow may provide a guideline on which to base your group's practice.

I can appreciate your position.  Unfortunately, there are too many variables at play including local ordinance and even state law that would limit the ability of anyone here to answer the questions you need answered.

Unfortunately I've been down that road of suggestions it seems I am on my own but I know in the end I will be able to make the right decision and I appreciate your responses. it is similar feedback to what I received except for one group that I was vetting and that's why the question arose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.