Certification in different state

walle

Hi, I have a bit of a complicated question, but if anyone has any specific knowledge on state rules for Hawaii and Texas it would be helpful. So I was in the military and they sent me to EMT school, through the local college, at the time I was in Hawaii. I gained national certification, but never certified with the state because I was only working through the U.S. Coast Guard. I transferred a few times, went overseas, my certification lapsed, and finally ended up in Texas. I got out of the military, decided to get my EMT certification back and go to AEMT school. I took all the steps to get my national certification back up to date, which I now have. But am having a hard time getting state certification. I contacted Texas DSHS and they said if my initial certifying state (Hawaii) requires me to live in that state to get state certification with them, then I can have them send a letter stating that to Texas DSHS. But if they don't require that I live there, I have to get Hawaii state certification first and then I can go through the reciprocity process that way. I've tried contacting Hawaii state department, but am having a hard time getting through to someone who can help me. Is anyone aware of the rules in Hawaii? Or if Hawaii will even certify me at the state level since my qualification had lapsed at one point? I'm in a rush because I've already started the AEMT course and have until clinicals start to get my state license... thanks.. 

I would continue to call the state of hawaii dept of ems and stay on them until you get an answer.  YOu will eventually get someone on the phone who will be able to help you.  This might be one of those situations where you will have to outlast those in power.  

Good luck.  

What you may end up having to do is go back and start at EMT in Texas which is going to suck but you should be able to breeze through it. 

Again, I wish you well.  

So the Coast Guard sent you to EMT school.  Was this part of your job while in the military?  If so, doesn't Texas have some sort of process for military vets who hold valid NR certifications to gain a state certification?  It sounds insane that Texas would play this kind of game.  It also sounds like your initial certifying "state" was the Coast Guard where you don't need any specific state certification if you have NR.

If they refuse to play ball can you obtain certification in a neighboring state then apply for reciprocity?  Failing that start asking why they're discriminating against a military veteran.

This is a problem nationwide that has been going on for years.

You have guys in the military who have been doing advanced stuff, but then when they get out, no one recognizes their certs and abilities anymore. Many of them have had to start at step one and go to EMT school all over again. I just saw a post on another forum that I am on that said that the Army did not renew the contract for CEU's. So basically, they are kind of throwing everyone under the bus to do their own CEU's to maintain what they learned/earned in the Army.

Walle, I would keep calling to get an answer, but I would also plan on starting all over again, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, yakc130 said:

This is a problem nationwide that has been going on for years.

Walle, I would keep calling to get an answer, but I would also plan on starting all over again, unfortunately.

Yeah, Walle,  I think you might be out of luck, but then again, I just went to a seminar and one of the guys key take aways from this seminar was this.  

When you are told "you can't do that" you just respond with "Yes I can" and this might be one of them.  Just keep trying.  Keep on the phone with the Dept of EMS or whoever you talk to until you get to the person who gets paid the most or has the biggest title.  

And yes, we do feel your pain.  

but what I would be doing in the mean time while you are trying to get answers(probably from a bunch of yahoo's who sound like a broken record) I would be trying to get into a EMT school at least to start.  The worst case scenario would be that you get your AEMT and then you have to forfeit the money you spent for the emt class.  

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic