Pt assessment

emr1287

Hello,

i have been a paramedic for about a year and a half and I let go from my previous employer 3 months ago. Since then I've worked at a couple of other less than reputable companies and I am now working with AMR in Dallas. 

In my experience as a medic I've prided myself on being able to handle situations appropriately without freaking out. However, since coming back to a reputable company it has come to my attention that my assessment skills, and ability to organize my thoughts while talking to my patients and while giving reports has drastically diminished. I'm currently struggling and have tried everything I can think of. 

Does anyone have resources or suggestions that would help me get back up to par and boost my confidence? 

Thank you in advance. 

You sound like a couple of medics I have had the opportunity in the past to mentor.  I'm not saying this is what happened to you but maybe your being let go and then going to work for the less than reputable company started a complacency problem or a "don't care" attitude which can happen without you seeing it or recognizing it.  Crappy companies of any sort can bring that out in people.  

My first thought is to get your head on straight and sit down with a mentor or with the person who told you that your performance is lacking and work on a plan to improve your performance.  

My second suggestion is to get into a refresher course taught by a reputable company - preferably at a college level.  I took a refresher taught by a guy named Bob Page a long time ago and not only did he do classroom time, we spend hours of class in scenario based instances.  It was the best 400 bucks I ever spent.  

Next would be maybe if you can and only if you can, take some time away from the grind.  If you have a 4 day weekend, spend that time away from EMS and decompress.  go camping, spend sometime alone with your family or a close friend or a spousal unit.  Do this for the next couple of 4 day or three days off that you have.  Dont think about EMS, don't do anything but spend the time on you.

Sometimes we need a RESET, a cool down and a new start and once we do that, better things start to happen.  

If you need someone to chat with, pm me.  I've been in your shoes.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.