EMT

Monique

Welcome.

EMT interview for a job?  Or EMT interview to get into an EMT class?

If for a class then it'll probably be some questions to try and figure out who you are and if you'd fit/do well in the program.

If for a job it will vary wildly.  Some places do a sit down interview along with a written test and fitness test.  Some places will simply ask if you have a certification and when you can start.

Preparing for an interview is like preparing for a test.  Get a good night sleep before hand.  Eat a good breakfast that day.  Brush your teeth before going in.  Or at least check and make sure you don't have part of your breakfast between your teeth.  Dress well for the interview.  This means no random uniform pieces.  Business attire is appropriate unless they tell you otherwise.

The biggest thing is to relax.  You're interviewing them just like they're interviewing you.  Be ready with questions to ask them.

All the best.

1.  Dress for success - don't go in with mismatched clothing, wear a tie.  Or a nice dress if you have one and are a girl.  

2.  Shave and brush your teeth, comb your hair, put on deodorant, don't put  on any cologne or perfume

3.  bring a note pad and a pen, a copy of your resume

4.  Don't study the night before.  They probably won't ask you any medical questions that you can study for anyway

5. Eat a good breakfast but make sure you bring an extra shirt and tie just in case you miss your mouth, you can put that extra shirt and tie on.  

6.  Greet the receptionist and anyone else that is there.  You never know who will be tasked to watch you and report back on you.  

7. FOR GOD SAKES, LEAVE THE F'ING PHONE IN YOUR CAR, IF YOU CAN'T BEAR TO BE AWAY FROM YOUR LOVER(PHONE) FOR THE LENGTH OF THE INTERVIEW, TURN IT OFF AND DON'T LOOK AT IT FOR THE ENTIRE TIME OF THE INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   do I need to repeat myself. 

8.  learn as much as you can about your future employer

9.  Take that notepad and pen and write down every person you interviewed with.  Then write down the address of the company you interviewed at, and then after your interview, send each of those people a personal note thanking them for their time that they spent with you.  Make sure that you put in your personal note, one thing from them that you took away.  What question did they ask you that you remember, and then answer it more fully.  If you need help with this one, PM me and I'll help you with it after your interview.  

10.  Firm handshake

11. ASK LOTS of questions 

12.  The best question to ask them and it will make them think.  They will ask you this question "do you have any questions for us"  you can then ask,  "Have I given you any reason during this interview not to hire me?"  If they say "no"  then you can ask them, but only if you feel ballsy,  "When can I start?"    I did this at my current job and got the offer the next day.  

13.  Do not be afraid to say "I don't know the answer to that question, but I have a group of colleagues and reference materials that I go to when I do not know the answer to hard tough questions".   Interviewers want to know what you would do if you don't know that answer.  

14.  Another question to ask at the end of an interview is "What is the culture like here?"  "what is the management style here", "Would it be possible for me to take a look at the employee handbook to get a better idea of what would be expected of me as an employee" ,  "Can I talk to the employees to get a idea of what it is like to work here?", "Can I see some of the letters from patients or customers who have written in to your company?", "Can I sit in Dispatch for a day, or do a ride along with a supervisor for a day prior to making my decision on coming to work here?"  

15.  Do not be afraid to ask about What your first 30, 60 or 90 days would be like?  What do they expect you to provide versus what they provide new employees?  Ask how long the probationary period is.  Ask about the FTO period and how many FTO,s you will be paired up with.  I'm a real advocate of being paired up with at least 2 if not 3 during your orientation.  If you are paired up with just 1, you risk being put with someone that you just might not click with.  So having a 2nd FTO is a good thing.  A third can round out the experience to make it a good one.  

I have so many more but I think 15 might be enough for you to start.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.