New to this site and to the EMS world!

eringobragh

Hi, everyone!

I joined this site a few days ago and I didn't realize just how immersive it is when it comes to how well we can communicate with one another. If anyone feels up to chat, I'd happily take you up on it! 

I'm very new to the world of EMS. I'm not fully certified yet; my test is next Monday. I am stressing out over it because I feel like I don't know the material as well as I should. I took an accelerated course (4 weeks) and I did my practicals. I'm also struggling with my own health, which really sucks, so it's a little difficult to buckle down and really push the studying for the next couple of days.

Like I said, I'm up to chat with anyone. 

So question regarding your accelerated class.   Do you think that in 4 weeks you were adequately prepared for the upcoming test when most other classes take at least a college semester to complete?  

Do you feel that you are adequately prepared for the test? 

What do you think are the advantages of a accelerated course over the traditional length course?  

What are the disadvantages?

What was the cost of your course?  

Again, not busting your chops for your choice, but I think that you can provide some good insight and first hand knowledge of the accelerated program that could be beneficial to some of our members who are on the fence as to which course to take.  

Also - welcome to the CITY

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

On 7/22/2016 at 11:29 AM, Ruffmeister Paramedic said:

So question regarding your accelerated class.   Do you think that in 4 weeks you were adequately prepared for the upcoming test when most other classes take at least a college semester to complete?  

Do you feel that you are adequately prepared for the test? 

What do you think are the advantages of a accelerated course over the traditional length course?  

What are the disadvantages?

What was the cost of your course?  

Again, not busting your chops for your choice, but I think that you can provide some good insight and first hand knowledge of the accelerated program that could be beneficial to some of our members who are on the fence as to which course to take.  

Also - welcome to the CITY

I didn't know anyone replied to this. Sorry! 

To be completely honest, the answer is no. I don't feel very confident not only in the knowledge department but also my skills. We would go through 3 or more chapters a day. We did more practical work than anything, and I still failed spinal immobilization. I've since passed that. 

However, I took my NREMT test today and nearly every question that popped up, I mouthed, "what the f***?" I felt like I didn't know anything at all, and I have been studying! I failed, unfortunately. It's a real downer, because I don't think I'm incompetent. I'll do whatever it takes. 

Advantages:
Obviously a much shorter time frame. That's really all I can think to say for this.

Disadvantages:
I'll put it here as well: it's a shorter time frame. MUCH shorter. There's a ton of information thrown at you at every second of the class and you must retain it. This going for knowledge and skill. This is the biggest thing; you MUST have a lot of self-discipline to do this. You must do your homework when it's assigned. Study in your free time. Perform your practical skills on others when outside of class. It takes a lot (as I'm sure any EMT class does) because you have a very limited amount of time do complete the course.

Book vs. Street EMT: I think this may go for all classes, but we heard, "well, the book says to do ___, but in real life, you'd do ___." It was sort of frustrating. 

I paid $975.00 for my class. Then at the end, the $75 was given back as an online voucher to take the NREMT test. I think I have to pay for any more attempts.

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm still getting used to the site, so I'm sorry it took so long to reply.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:10 AM, paramedicmike said:

Welcome.

Thanks so much!

20 minutes ago, ERDoc said:

Welcome and I hope your test went well.

Thank you! As I said in the reply above, I failed my NREMT. I'll study as much as I can until I can retest.

Sorry to hear about the test but good for you with sticking to it.  I don't know anything about where you are but maybe try a full length course.  Just remember that when you take your exams you have to do it based on what the book says.

Welcome to the City! 

I have never personally agreed that accelerated classes for this type of certification have ever been a good idea. With this type of class all you really get is the "cookbook" style of medicine which is very simple, when your patient presents this way you do this. It does not give you a root in focused A&P or pathophysiology so therefor there is no way you could be expected to critically think your way out of an emergency that is not listed in your protocols. 

I look at those types of classes as scams for the most part and in today's world where we are trying to sharpen our image as pre-hospital practitioners and not just ambulance drivers :) or in my case "self loading baggage", people like yourself are being taken advantage of with high priced classes and promises of jobs and certifications.

I feel bad that you had to go through this junk and that you lost a little self confidence by failing your first attempt.

So with all that being said, please do not think I am downing you in anyway, merely the methodology behind your so called "Class", I currently teach FP-C, CFRN, CEN, CC-P review courses for my company and I am fairly aware of what is on the NREMT test for Basics so if you would like, we could hook up on skype and I can help you through some of the things you don't understand and I can provide you with some study materials and prep tests to help you gain the confidence that you need to pass.

I make no guarantees and I charge no money but as an older Medic, I do believe it is my place to mentor the new generation such as yourself to take my place when I get even older and more broken down :)

So if you are interested please PM me and I will get started with you. I work a salary job so I am basically free most days or I can make time for you when you're available. I am in Mountain time here in South Dakota.

Keep your chin up kiddo, we can all get you through this and trust me when I say that if I can pass the NREMT test, anyone can pass it!!!

52 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Welcome to the City! 

I have never personally agreed that accelerated classes for this type of certification have ever been a good idea. With this type of class all you really get is the "cookbook" style of medicine which is very simple, when your patient presents this way you do this. It does not give you a root in focused A&P or pathophysiology so therefor there is no way you could be expected to critically think your way out of an emergency that is not listed in your protocols. 

I look at those types of classes as scams for the most part and in today's world where we are trying to sharpen our image as pre-hospital practitioners and not just ambulance drivers :) or in my case "self loading baggage", people like yourself are being taken advantage of with high priced classes and promises of jobs and certifications.

I feel bad that you had to go through this junk and that you lost a little self confidence by failing your first attempt.

So with all that being said, please do not think I am downing you in anyway, merely the methodology behind your so called "Class", I currently teach FP-C, CFRN, CEN, CC-P review courses for my company and I am fairly aware of what is on the NREMT test for Basics so if you would like, we could hook up on skype and I can help you through some of the things you don't understand and I can provide you with some study materials and prep tests to help you gain the confidence that you need to pass.

I make no guarantees and I charge no money but as an older Medic, I do believe it is my place to mentor the new generation such as yourself to take my place when I get even older and more broken down :)

So if you are interested please PM me and I will get started with you. I work a salary job so I am basically free most days or I can make time for you when you're available. I am in Mountain time here in South Dakota.

Keep your chin up kiddo, we can all get you through this and trust me when I say that if I can pass the NREMT test, anyone can pass it!!!

"Take offs are optional...Landings are mandatory"

Edited by BlueSkies
Didn't mean to repost it, delete it please :)

19 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Welcome to the City! 

I am currently at work but I'll type out a better reply when I'm home, or send you a message. I REALLY appreciate your wanting to help. At this point I'll take all I can get. My laptop is out of service at the moment, and it's my best device to skype on. I'll have it up and running in a few days.

I know you're not downing me. There's no offense taken. I think I should have known better than to take an accelerated course to begin with. It really was too quick and I didn't catch much at all.

I'll get a hold of you once I'm home (if I remember- my mind is already going at 22, it seems :p)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.