New EMT carry on gear ??

Welcome.  Congratulations on passing your EMT exam.

Could you please clarify what you mean by your question?  Do you mean an EMT bag for your vehicle or to keep at home?  Or for work?  Your employer should provide you with everything you need while on duty.  They are not responsible for what you do or carry off duty and will not provide anything for that.

If you want an EMT bag, commonly called a "whacker bag", there are plenty of commercially produced kits available for purchase.  Really, though, the only thing you need is a cell phone with good coverage to call for help.

• Like 1

I don't carry anything while I'm off duty. I used to, but I outgrew it.

While on the job I only carry a few select items:

• Pen (usually 3 or 4 because I always lose them)
  • Stethoscope (Because I don't know where the ears of others have been.)
  • Shears ('cause ya never wanna have to tease your rookie partner for carrying them, then have to borrow them on the very next call because you don't carry them)

I also have a "Go Bag" that I take on long flights. It includes:

• Additional cold weather gear. (Snowpants, parka, big mitts, facemask, 'cause, you know, it would suck to survive a forced landing only to freeze to death.)
  • A small survival kit with fishing line, fire starter, etc ('cause, sometimes, ya just gotta fend for yourself.
  • Couple bottles of water and a few granola bars, ('cause, you know, it would suck to survive a forced landing, stay warm, and starve to death.)
  • A good book. ('cause, you know, it would suck to survive a forced landing, keep warm and nourished, yet die of boredom.)

As for what the station will provide, it varies from one company to the other, you should check with them.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

in my personal bag I always carried 

1.  2 books (1 I was currently reading and the other that was ready to read)

2.  assortment of snacks and liquid refreshment

3.  a change of clothing (personal and also work)

4.  bible

5.  my kindle

6.  cell phone battery and a cell phone/kindle battery backup 

7.  gift card to local convenience store and also walmart gift card

8.  extra socks and 2 pairs of underwear

9.  toiletries kit (fully stocked)

10.  extra pens and paper for writing and a journal

I also have a laptop bag

In my car trunk I have a bug out bag for 6 days of need (6 days for me alone or 1 day each for my family of 5 if together)

I carry an "Emt jump bag" in the trunk of all our cars.  We have come across many mvc's or neighbors needing you.  As far what you should carry and who will pay for it it's company to company's policy.  I always stock people personal vehicle bag.  But they changed who does the ordering now and have sloly stopped doing it.  I've been an Emt for 30 years n I still carry it!! Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2wheelinemt said:

I carry an "Emt jump bag" in the trunk of all our cars.  We have come across many mvc's or neighbors needing you.  As far what you should carry and who will pay for it it's company to company's policy.  I always stock people personal vehicle bag.  But they changed who does the ordering now and have sloly stopped doing it.  I've been an Emt for 30 years n I still carry it!! Good luck.

Hopefully your bag doesn't have 30 year old stock ha ha ha ha 

• Like 1

I have my work bag in my car, in it is a stethoscope, knife, trauma shears, a bottle of advil, and a change of underwear.  I never know when I might get stuck at the hospital for 72 hours in a snowstorm again.  I'm also known to duck when people ask if there's a doctor or nurse available and drive by accidents.

One of the main reasons why I don't carry a jump bag is mostly due to the cost of setting one up. Employers don't typically set up one for you. In my opinion there's a limit of stuff you can do with just a jump bag anyway. Typically, I don't stop at accidents when I come across them because I am not equipped to handle the situation POV. I also have to agree with what @paramedicmike said when he said the only thing you really need is a cell phone with relatively good service.  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.