Jobs as a medic

JTEMS

36 minutes ago, scubanurse said:

where?!?

I live in St. Louis. EMT is about $2000 and medic is $9k before books and uniforms. I can't use FAFSA either, because no schools take student loans. I have to get one from a bank

There has to be better options for you to finance school.  How about scholarships?  Grants?  Hell, even moving temporarily to find an affordable school could be cheaper than $11k for EMT and paramedic.

Or you could go to nursing school first and self finance paramedic school after you're out, working and earning a salary.

18 hours ago, paramedicmike said:

There has to be better options for you to finance school.  How about scholarships?  Grants?  Hell, even moving temporarily to find an affordable school could be cheaper than $11k for EMT and paramedic.

Or you could go to nursing school first and self finance paramedic school after you're out, working and earning a salary.

I'm not moving anywhere. I live at home with my parents, and I am completely broke. EMT-B is over in July, and that is already paid for. I'm 99% positive I don't qualify for grants/scholarships. It's horrible, but I'll learn to live with it :P

I don't really want to be a RN in the same way I want to be a Medic, I just want it for an extra job and skillset/job security (A lot of medics can't be medics forever)

1 hour ago, JTEMS said:

I'm not moving anywhere. I live at home with my parents, and I am completely broke. EMT-B is over in July, and that is already paid for. I'm 99% positive I don't qualify for grants/scholarships. It's horrible, but I'll learn to live with it :P

I don't really want to be a RN in the same way I want to be a Medic, I just want it for an extra job and skillset/job security (A lot of medics can't be medics forever)

You never know until you look.  Apply for any scholarship or grant you find.  Make them tell you "no" instead of you telling yourself "no".

As an aside, those aren't really great reasons to pursue nursing.  If you're pursuing nursing because you really *WANT* to be a nurse then do it.  If you're doing it because "it'd be something good to fall back on" then please consider something else.  That's a *horrible* reason to be a nurse.  And that attitude will show through when you actually work as a nurse.

47 minutes ago, scubanurse said:

https://cte.stlcc.edu/paramedic-technology/

They have financial aid available according to their website, appears to be accredited, and you can get your associates there too!

This could potentially be a great option for you.  It's an accredited program.  Tuition for the fall is $106 per credit hour.  It looks like they have an installment plan to pay your tuition.  It awards a degree upon successful completion of the program.  You could probably get some student loan help if you really needed it.  To be fair, I know nothing of the school or the program itself.  But it certainly can't hurt to research things.