Jobs as a medic

JTEMS

So I've obviously worked with medics on the truck and in the ER, and been taught by one.. but what other jobs would NRP open up for me? Can you work on other floors of a hospital (besides the ER) or work for a physician? I'd like to know all of my options I have.

Thanks,

Jake

Getting a job in the hospital will be hit or miss.  As for a physician, I don't know of any that specifically hire paramedics.  Most just hire MAs.  If you are interested in working in the hospital or clinic, why not just work on becoming an RN, PA or MD/DO?

5 hours ago, ERDoc said:

Getting a job in the hospital will be hit or miss.  As for a physician, I don't know of any that specifically hire paramedics.  Most just hire MAs.  If you are interested in working in the hospital or clinic, why not just work on becoming an RN, PA or MD/DO?

Pretty much this.

Working in an ER as a paramedic will see you doing a lot of tech work.  You won't be doing some of the things you could do on the street like managing airways and the like.  I don't know of any hospitals that hire paramedics to work up on the floor.  Paramedic training just isn't suited for that type of environment.

As Kat noted there are remote/industrial paramedic positions available out there.  These can be oil fields, construction sites or other industrial/manufacturing type facilities.  There's a guy who used to post here regularly named DwayneEMTP who was doing industrial medic work in Papau New Guinea for a while.  He did some write ups about his experiences here.

If you're looking for hospital work then there are other jobs and education to consider as Doc outlined above.  And those are just a few to consider.  Respiratory therapist, rad tech, ultrasound tech are others to consider as well.

I worked in an ER as a medic.  Night shift medics did more managing airways than day shift because the anesthetists didn't work at night.  

Plus we also did most of what we could do on the street in the ER as well.  In my ER we also hung blood and foley catheterized as well. 

It depends on the hospital you work at. 

But the hospital I worked at was rural in nature and operated on a small staff at night.  

If you are looking to work for a medium size hospital with a good amount of services then yes you will more than likely be a tech on any shift.  

40 minutes ago, Ruffmeister Paramedic said:

I worked in an ER as a medic.  Night shift medics did more managing airways than day shift because the anesthetists didn't work at night.  

Plus we also did most of what we could do on the street in the ER as well.  In my ER we also hung blood and foley catheterized as well. 

It depends on the hospital you work at. 

But the hospital I worked at was rural in nature and operated on a small staff at night.  

If you are looking to work for a medium size hospital with a good amount of services then yes you will more than likely be a tech on any shift.  

I worked with an ER medic. I hate the ER.

..and most people started lines without any BSI precautions. So that was gross. It was a kinda ghetto area level 2 center.

I like the stability of RN, but I want to be on the street. I just wanted to know my opinions :P if I had the money, I'd just do both! 

Edited by JTEMS

There are many people out there that do, in fact, do both.  There is nothing limiting you from obtaining credentials in both professions.

Mike, good to know about the hospital at which you worked.  All the hospitals with which I'm familiar would only allow IV/phlebot and moving patients around on day or night shift.

3 hours ago, JTEMS said:

I worked with an ER medic. I hate the ER.

..and most people started lines without any BSI precautions. So that was gross. It was a kinda ghetto area level 2 center.

I like the stability of RN, but I want to be on the street. I just wanted to know my opinions :P if I had the money, I'd just do both! 

Then do both.  I know several nurses who do both.  I'm going to go back and get my paramedic back so I can do both again.  I let it lapse after burning out and going through nursing school.

1 hour ago, paramedicmike said:

There are many people out there that do, in fact, do both.  There is nothing limiting you from obtaining credentials in both professions.

Mike, good to know about the hospital at which you worked.  All the hospitals with which I'm familiar would only allow IV/phlebot and moving patients around on day or night shift.

If I can find the money, I will. Idk how much nursing school would cost me, but Medic school is gonna run me nearly five figures.