Preparing for Medic School

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd come back since I got a lot of positive/good advice last time I posted. I am currently on the downslide of EMT-B and looking for preparation advice about Medic school. I am pushing medic off till January to do A&P because I think it will help me a lot (I took Human Bio so I technically don't have to) with medic school. What other things should I prepare for/focus on while I'm in EMT-B and A&P? I've heard medic school is a nightmare.. Any class I should take beforehand? Or book I should buy?.. Etc

I would take a college level english composition class, as that would help you (not sayin you have bad grammar or writing skills) but it would help you with your report writing skills.  It's important to have good grammar and spelling in this field.  Yannow? :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ruffmeister Paramedic said:

I would take a college level english composition class, as that would help you (not sayin you have bad grammar or writing skills) but it would help you with your report writing skills.  It's important to have good grammar and spelling in this field.  Yannow? :)

Right on. I already aced ENG 101 and 102. I'm a very good writer! Thanks for the advice my man! :)

There have been several discussions on this topic in the past.   Try a search and see what you come up with.  If you're still having a hard time finding info let us know and we can work on rehashing some of the highlights.

• 2 months later...

The first thing that you could do is to write down on paper all of the things that you want to do with this degree, answer the question on "Why I want to go to school," and then write the pros and cons about going to this type of school and getting this type of degree.  That is how I became a nurse today.  I thought about it and wrote things down about it.  I also asked lots and lots of questions to my counselor.  Good luck to you and congratulations on going to school.  

I was just thinking,  these two classes might be helpful

1.  Conflict resolution

2.  Human behaviour - from infancy to death.  the type of class that outlines why we do what we do when we are a baby all the way to end of life.  

Not sure if colleges offer these classes though. 

You can get a CD that will help you in your anatomy and physiology classes.  When I was in nursing school, I got a very big anatomy and physiology book and inside of it had a CD.  The CD went over many things that the chapter covered.  One of the things that it helped me realize was why sodium channels are so helpful in the body and why the mineral sodium is so helpful as well.  It also had practice tests on the CD as well.  I would also recommend doing practice tests if your textbook has them available to you.  

• 1 month later...

Going to medical school is a great career choice.  I believe that sharing stories about going to medical school helps other people decide on the medical career pathway.  It was not until I got into college that I wanted to be a nurse.  Nursing was not on my radar at all until I read all of the information regarding the classes, schedules, and other aspects.  That is when I realized that nursing was my medical career path that I wanted to take.  What also encouraged me was the fact that I want to help people.  Medical career paths are a wonderful career choice because there are so many different types of jobs in those fields and here is some information pertaining to medical careers:

https://www.acls.net/study-guide-body-systems.htm

This is information about the body systems and it is what you will be learning in medical school.  

• 1 month later...

I had a friend who became a paramedic and he is doing just fine.  In fact, he really enjoys the work that he is doing.  He enjoys helping others and he also enjoys helping the rural areas of where he lives.  He tells me that his job is so rewarding because he loves doing all that he can in order to take care of people.  Being a paramedic is such a fabulous field to be in because you see so many patients and see so many things.  Here is the web link for more information:

http://www.pacificmedicalacls.com/first-medical-internship.html

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on your new adventure and for going to school in such a wonderful field and a growing field too.  I really enjoy working with people in the rescue and fire departments.  I have worked in long-term care and also did some volunteer work at the hospitals and I was the school nurse and the EMT's and firemen that helped our students and patients were fantastic.  I really respect the work that they do and it is hard work.  I believe that chemistry would be a class that you could take before you start school or you could take it even in your first semester.  Here is some other information that could help as well:

https://www.acls.net/acute-coronary-syndromes-algorithm.htm