Paramedic vs. Firefighter/Paramedic

4 hours ago, Van said:

I made an account just to say this; are you friggen crazy?

I can't think of ONE PERSON who "wants" to be a paramedic. Trust me. After 3 years of bullshit calls and a thankless horrid "career" you'll be furious that you are forced to do the majority of the work while the guys on the truck get to enjoy sleeping all night and playing ping pong all day.

This job is so lopsided it's not even remotely funny. It's a job full of buddy fuckers one minute and then there's a circle jerk going on the next.

If you truly wish to be a paramedic, prepare for a life 20 years shorter than you would have had and expect to be miserable for the entirety of your underpaid career.

First Troll post of the year from VAN, the winner of the most irrelevant post of the year so far. 

You made a post just to say that paramedic is worthless.  You are a troll and have no idea what you are talking about.  "Buddy fuckers and the like", that's rich.  did it take you all day or a week to put that one together.   Go away until you have something of worth to tell us.  

such negativity, makes me wonder if you wanted to be one of those zero to heros and were turned down based on your facebook posts.  

Go away

Edited by Just Plain Ruff
  • Thanks 1

I've been a firefighter, and I've been a paramedic, and solely a paramedic for over 30 years now. No complaints here. I seriously can't understand how being moved off an ambulance and onto a fire truck could be considered a promotion.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arctickat said:

I've been a firefighter, and I've been a paramedic, and solely a paramedic for over 30 years now. No complaints here. I seriously can't understand how being moved off an ambulance and onto a fire truck could be considered a promotion.

don't you mean for most departments - DEMOTION or punishment.  

• Thanks 1

I think you should follow your dreams and heart, if don't understand well i mean chase what you are want to be. 

I want to be EMS so you could be FF or EMS it's your path, your life, your career. 

Sincerely,

HelloIzJerry

Logo ATCEMS.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not going to weigh in on this topic either way because although I have worked as a paramedic and a firefighter, I never had to depend upon either profession to pay the bills.  That said, I almost peed myself laughing over the comments by Van.  Troll to be sure but I did find it funny in a sarcastic sort of manner.  

Choose a profession that allows for growth and a new challenge every day otherwise you will wither and fade into the dust.  

Spock

May the tube be with you.

• 3 months later...

It has been a few years but I used to do both Fire and EMS.  I was in the third world and and hate smoke but Fire was the best way to do high angle rescue. I always volunteered and absolutely love EMS . If you love medicine, go for it,

• 3 months later...

I'm retired from the FDNY EMS Command.  There, I was mission specific EMS,  as were my brother and sister EMTs and Paramedics.  We didn't fight fires.

The Fire Fighters had to be CFR-D (Certified First Responder-Defibrillator) trained, as per the dispatch matrix, some calls also automatically had an Engine company sent along. The Truck (Ladder) companies.would be sent for motor vehicle collisions.

Now, numerous Fire Fighters, outside the paid FDNY,  are members of Volunteer Fire Departments, both inside and in nearby counties to NYC, that also run Ambulance/Rescue, and are crosstrained FF-EMT or FF-PMs. In the FDNY, however, they are only utilized as FF/CFR-Ds. 

In the FDNY EMS,  again, even if the personnel came from one of those VFD-EMS/Rescue agencies,  they're only utilized as EMTs and Paramedics.  We do, however, have a small group of "Rescue Medics", trained in several rescue techniques,  such as high angle rope rescue. 

All FDNY EMTs and Paramedics are trained ("Haz-Mat Awareness") to operate in Haz-Mat "Warm" zones, with specially trained members ("Haz-Mat Technicians and Instructors"), including the "Rescue Medics", as operators within Haz-Mat "Hot" zones. 

Within the FDNY,  it is considered a "Promotion" to go from any level of the EMS,  to being a Fire Fighter. Pay is actually higher than Paramedic Lieutenant, as a rookie Fire Fighter.

To the original poster, this probably won't help your situation, but will explain the world I operated in from 1996 to medical retirement in 2010. Good luck in overcoming your Acrophobia.

• 2 months later...

If you are going to be making 15 dollars an hour do not do it.  Stay away from those jobs.  Seek to move or find paramedic jobs that pay more.

I work for Chicago Fire as a single role medic and I made aprox 125k last year.  You have to find the job and make the opportunity.  Do not work for the private ambulance companies where you fraud medicare and make some asshole rich.  Just stay away.

I cannot stress enough to not do this job for 15 dollars an hour.  If people stood up and refused those stupid low wages maybe these private companies would be forced to up the pay, but too many people fall in line and joyfully take the high school wage and do not seek to promote themselves.

If you cannot find or get the paramedic jobs that pay a decent wage then I suggest moving on to something else with more opportunity and pay.

Just my 2 cents.