What to do...

scubanurse

Ok friends.  I need some unbiased advice.  I have the first semester of NP school completed which is just general advance practice courses.  I thought for sure that I wanted to be an acute care adult-geriatric NP, but now I'm not so sure.  This was part of the reason I took a break and a high risk pregnancy full of complications that demanded me to slow down.  My interests at this point are to continue with the acute care degree and work for a hospital group focusing on ICU patients or Certified Nurse Midwife.  There aren't any ER's in this area that hire NP's so in order to pursue an advanced degree, I have to leave the ER :( .  I'm just at this cross roads and I'm not sure how to proceed, and truth is, I'm not sure which practice area will make me the happiest in the long run.

List out the pros and cons of each thing you want to do.  That may help you think it out.  By putting it on paper, you can actually see your thoughts and share with those you're talking to on a regular basis about this decision.  It's helped me with dilemmas in the past.

I've done that and I'm still stuck, each have their pros and cons that are about equal, it just comes down to what I want to do with the rest of my life.  I wish APRN was more like MD in that during school you rotate through all of the specialties and then get to choose, I just don't have that option to do a meaningful rotation in each of the specialty areas.

Do you have any clinics in your area that would be interested in a Certified Nurse Midwife?   Or can you reach out to one of those clinics and discuss the virtues of "you" and what you would bring to their practice with your CEN, Advanced degree and your Certified Nurse Midwife skillery!!!! Could be a win win win for all!!!!  You just might have to do some selling of the greatness of what you ScubaNurse could bring to them.  

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic