New to site and EMS, hello!

Mousieee

Hello!

I just finished EMT-B training in the beginning of March, and am going to orientation for my first EMT job next week. 

Do you guys have and tips or advice for me?

Edited by Mousieee
Clarification

Don't stop reading and learning.  Listen to those who have come before you (unless they say things like, "we've always done it this way.") You will make mistakes, don't take them personally but learn from them.  Remember that people are hard to kill.

• Like 1

Welcome!  I hated driving, despised it actually so I always attended and let my partner drive.  Likely hated it because I had been in a pretty bad wreck as a passenger and just hated having that responsibility.  My suggestion is to take your time when they put you through the course, ask questions, and if you don't feel ready--tell them that.  Don't drive unless you feel 100% comfortable.  It is a huge responsibility and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

• Like 1

Welcome to the city... best advice i can give keep learning! 

9 hours ago, Mousieee said:

Thanks ERDoc. I'm most worried about learning to drive the ambulance. The largest vehicle I've ever operated was a ford ranger, haha. Is it as scary as it seems?

Hard to say.  I learned to drive them when I was 18 so it was at a point when I was a cocky, know-it-all douchenozzle.  It also depends on the size.  I would say that the more you do it, the more comfortable you get.  If you don't feel comfortable driving L&S, then don't.  It's better to get there 30 seconds later than not at all.

Dont be scared think of it as, when you go l&s everyone on the road is going to hit you or freak out around you. Go slow go safe double check every intersection and assume someone will cut out infront of you remeber those simple facts and you will be fine. also the more you are annoying with the siren chances are you will get people to notice you are there

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.