BLS to ALS

Hey y'all im back and better than ever. I was just wondering when you think is a good time to transition to ALS as in my county the paid Medics will never let a BLS unit touch a patient unless they are obviously not injured (weird considering we only have 5 min transport times). I live in Virginia and we still have the I-99 and probably will for a good long time so I was considering taking a class in that or Take a full paramedic class starting may 2017 in my second semester of college. I guess my big question is when can i be sure that I will be ready for ALS (and would it be too much to take 2 nights a week with nursing prerecks) and if the May class is two early would an RN to P class be a good option giving me 3.5 more years of BLS practice before i make the jump. From what I can tell the ALS providers at my squad respect me and my knowledge as a B but I was just wondering if you could give me a little guidance. Thanks yall you rock

just what do you want to end up doing?  medic or RN?  Whichever you decide, focus on that and let the other one slip to the side until you get the first one done.  Don't try to do both as I have friends who have tried to do both at the same time and they failed miserably.  

You can do both but not at the same time.  But that's my opinion only.  

Sounds like you have some A-holes in your county ems system if you ask me and I'll bet those same aholes get pissed when they have to transport a BLS patient when a bls unit could have done it just fine.  Nothing pisses me off more than a bitchy provider.  

• Like 1