EMT-B Pathos

Taylor96

Hello, I am wanting to keep a notebook of pathos to keep with me on the unit in case I need reference. I am only a basic, so I was wondering what different illnesses and complications I should have in there (flu, cardiac arrest, etc.) Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

How much room for textbooks worth of material do you have?  You are not going to be able to compile enough information in a notebook.

It sounds, perhaps, like you're looking to make a list of differential diagnoses?  That is, a list of things that can be causing the chief complaint?  Take a look at your treatment protocols.  These will give you an idea of the most common presentations of complaints you will encounter as an EMT.  Take any given complaint, chest pain for example, and start reading about what can cause chest pain.  Create a list of differential diagnoses (chest pain, for example, can be caused by, among other things, angina, MI, AAA, PE, pericarditis, effusion, pneumothorax, trauma etc...).  This is all information you'll have to think of on the fly as you're dealing with a patient.  Chances are excellent you're not going to be able to pull out your notebook in the middle of a call especially if you have a really sick patient.

Part of your responsibility as an EMT is to continue the learning process after you've completed your training program.  The best way to do this is simple.  Read.  Read a lot.  Then read some more.  Encounter something you've not seen before?  Read about it when the call is completed. 

Then read some more.

Or have I missed the mark with regards to your question?  If so, please refer back to my previous comment and be much more specific about what it is, exactly, you're attempting to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.