Paramedic Retesting -Illinois

Hey everyone. I need some guidance here please. I took a paramedic program 2 years ago and I took my test last year in May 2014 which I failed. (Illinois switched their test now to computer with a lovely 27% success rate.) I was reapplying late last week to retest finally as I wasnt able to retest within the year because of personal conflicts. I guess I'm unable to retest now because there is a 1 year limit in Illinois that I have to achieve a passing grade on the test. My instructors never notified me that this was the case and why would I check IDPH's website? Foolish of me not to do so....o_O not that anyone ever would. So now I'm stuck at a point where i need to retake my test but cant because obviously I'm past my 1 year. Initially when I called Continental testing and PSI Testing, they said "Oh yeah its no problem, just pay the $40 fee, and youll be all set to go" This was after telling them my case that its past a year and they checked my records through my SSN and everything. Well turns out it wasnt as easy as they were boasting. 

So now my question is, what am I supposed to do? Do i tell them I was told that i was squared away as long as I paid the retest fee? In the letter i received, it said :

You have not passed your EMS Exam within the one (1) year time frame as stipulated in the Illinois State Statutes. You are now required to complete a new certified course prior to taking your next exam.

Looks like you have to re-take the course then.  That's the case in most states that I know of since your chances of passing after a failure and 2+ years out from the course are very slim.  Yes your instructors should have notified you of this rule, but it's also part of your responsibility in my opinion to know the rules.  You might be able to take a refresher course or completed x number of CEU's and re-take the test but it sounds like the state requires a whole new course to be completed.  Sucks and I'm sorry, but I doubt there's much you can do at this point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.