Eastern Kentucky Universityt

yakc130

Throwing this out here, as well as maybe some other places.

How many other senior types have applied to them? Are you have any issues with the process?

This is all I will state for now. Once I hear some replies, I will go into it further.

Thanks.

Trying not to say "old."

How about "non-traditional students?"

Basically, someone who has been out of school for more than say, twenty years. Someone who didn't go to college previously, and is trying to go now.

In that case don't expect the process to make sense.  Formal academia is different from anything you've likely dealt with previously.  Don't try to understand it.  Just recognize that if this is really what you want there is a game to be played.  Getting accepted is part of the game.

I've been dealing with them for over two months now. They have basically stopped my application process because I cannot provide them a good copy of my ACT scores.

I took it in 1979, and the results were on microfiche at my high school. Obviously, the results are not going to be very good. Now, they are telling me that I need to contact ACT directly for a copy because they still can't read my results.

I called ACT the other night (from here in KSA). Unfortunately, they cannot help me because I don't have an eight digit ID number, or a test date from 1979. I'm sure that they can do something. They told me that they have results going back to 1969.

Now, I'm sure that EKU has had other 52 year olds apply for schooling from them since they now offer "100% online classes." And I'm sure that some of these applicants can't obtain, or never took the ACT exam.

Really. How valid are test results going to be from 1979? I think that I have been able to do math and English fairly well if I have been in EMS all these years. This is getting to the point of being asinine. It's almost like these two females I have dealing with are a couple of interns who have been told that if it doesn't fall into any prefabricated category, don't pass it through.

I want to take the classes, but I also have to work FT here. We've had a MERS epidemic going on in our hospital for over a month now, and all hell has been breaking loose. The CDC and WHO have been here inspecting stuff, and they were not happy with what they found. The 88+ bed ER is down to 9 beds, the hospital is closed, and they are ripping different sections apart to rebuild them with negative pressure rooms. We have a military field hospital set up in the front parking lot for drive-ups, and next to it they have been building a 20 bed respiratory isolation clinic. The amount of money that they are spending is insane! If they had only acted at the beginning instead of hushing things up, it wouldn't be like this now.

I mean, seriously. You don't want to take my money?

Insert rant here with many choice and colorful four letter words. :angry:

I think that with all the other options of online education that you just tell them that you are going elsewhere.  But I'm not sure if you are pidgeonholed to this particular dog and pony show.  But isn't there some way to go to someone higher in the food chain, someone who speaks a more fluent language, like let's say English???  

I do see your frustration though.  

Originally, I was going to go through Mid-Plains Community College because they had indicated that they did 100% online courses. I spoke with a woman there who told me as much.

After I had spent the money on transcripts, I received an email from a gentleman who asked me when I would arrive for classes. After some emails, he told me that they did not do 100% online courses.

I saw an ad on EMS1.com advertising EKU doing 100% online EMS courses. I confirmed it with them, and started the process all over again. More money and time spent on transcripts and such, and now I am stuck at the ACT scores.

I just sent an email back to the two young ladies letting them know that ACT said that they cannot help. I also told  them to put me in contact with their supervisor.

This should be interesting.

What are your goals for going back to school?  What end point, if any, are you trying to achieve?  What research have you done of programs that could potentially cater to your needs?  That's great you saw an ad for a program on an industry specific website is great and all but what other options exist?

One of the complications of making the decision to go back to school, aside from actually making the decision to go back to school, is deciding what you want to study.  And where.  And when.  And how.  It's a lot to consider.  There are many factors to weigh.  And just because you found a place that may (or may not) cater to your needs/wants/desires doesn't automatically mean it's the right school for you.

Don't let the process get you down or discourage you.  As I mentioned academia is a different beast all unto itself.  It's not a bad beast.  It's just different from what you're used to.  If you're not getting satisfaction from the institutions you've approached so far then keep looking.  There are many programs, universities and options out there. Just find a reputable, accredited college or university (not one of the for-profit-take-your-student-loan-money-thankyouverymuch places) and go with it.