Hey all, I'm considering relocating to the midwest - probably the Wisconsin area from Southern New England. Salaries here are probably some of the highest in the country, but we also have some of the highest standards of living in the country. All things being equal, salary should be relative to the cost it is to where you live. 

I'm curious what salaries are in the MidWest and if most EMTs and medics can get by on your salary there - or are you juggling multiple jobs. I talked to one or two medics in the area and was surprised to learn that 24 hour shifts are often the standard.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Welcome.

Can't help you with salary information.  I know JEMS used to do a salary survey but the info I found online was pretty worthless.  The Bureau of Labor and Statistics may have some information.

Twenty-four hour shifts are still quite common.  If you're looking for a more rural area than from where you'll be moving it wouldn't surprise me at all to see 24 hour shifts.  Why are you surprised?

The Midwest seems to be the home of 24 hour shifts for EMS. However I think right now there are a lot of services going away from 24 hour shifts de to the increase in recent accidents in the Midwest. Most are going to 10 or 16 hour shifts.

I do not allow anything over a scheduled 12 hour shift period! I have worked in EMS long enough to know that in the Midwest there are a lot more inter-facilities and 12 hours scheduled rarely work out to that. 

Our starting pay for EMT's range from $13-14/hr, Paramedic's start at $15-18/hr and Critical Care Paramedics and RN start at $17-20/hr. The pay is increasing in the Midwest in the urban areas for sure. Some of the rural places can make pretty good money if they are county owned and operated ($20+ starting with no experience).

It really depends on where you are looking at, it can change significantly in a 50 mile radius.

• 1 month later...

I live in Northern Wisconsin and in my area Paramedics start out $15-$17 per hour. We are a county owned hospital based ambulance. We work 12's here. If you work fire EMS you get paid significantly more.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.