EMT-B student starting Sept. 1st

Hey guys, I just posted in the introduction topics, but I figured I'd get started with some questions I have for school.  I am enrolled in a EMT-B program that starts September 1st. It's only a Tuesday and Thursday, 10am-2pm class, so it will be all the way until April that I can take my NREMT. I work full-time doing hospital security to support my family, so it works best to do classes this way. 

Any advice from EMTs or Medics? I will be doing the hardest work possible, since I've been interested in emergency services since I was younger.  I have a big drive for this course. To make things better, I've been told it's a lot of fun doing the class and ride alongs/clinicals. 

Another question I have is what gear I should have? I've heard that many newbies get overly excited and fill their belts/pockets with gear. I don't want to be one of those guys. I just want the minimum that's needed.  I however always have a knife on me (big knife nut), so that won't be changing. 

• Like 1

Eight hours a week and it'll take you seven months? 

As for advice:

Ideally your instructor will provide a syllabus at the beginning of the course so you have an idea what will be taught and when.  Read ahead.  Come to class having already read the information to be covered.

Eyes open.  Ears open.  Brain turned on. Mouth shut and disengaged.  Only engage the mouth to ask a question. 

There will always be people with war stories.  Please try to avoid being one.

Go in with an open mind and a positive attitude.  Class and ride along time can be fun.

When doing your ride time be aggressive but not pushy.  Talk to the guys you'll be riding with at the start of the shift.  Ask what you can do.  Ask what they don't want you to do.  Ask questions at the appropriate time.  Learn early when it is the appropriate time.  (Hint: It's not in front of a patient.)

Don't just read the book.  Read here.  Read from additional resources.  Anatomy texts will be your friend.  History will be your friend.  Psychology and sociology will be your friend.  There is more to EMS than simply an EMT textbook.

As to what gear you should have your program should give you a list of any gear you may be required to have.  This is a very frequently asked question.  You are correct.  Many noobs go overboard and spend a lot of money on gear.  I recommend you don't go overboard with expensive gear.  Yes, the 5.11 pants and $300 Littmann Cardiology III are nice.  To get through school, however, a good pair of Dickies and a $25 sprague stethoscope will do you just fine.  Once you get through school (and decide you like this enough to continue) a good employer will either provide uniform items or have an allowance for uniform items.

Aside from daily everyday items (wallet, keys, cash, phone) the only other thing I carried when on the ambulance was a couple of pens, note pad, stethoscope and a good knife.  Maybe an extra pair of gloves in my back pocket.

Good questions.

Thanks, this is all good advice! I was planning on reading through my book before I even started class, but sadly, it was out of stock and my instructor has to figure out how to get them to me and a few other students. 

I will continue to ask questions as the come along, and will be reading this forum for info as well. I'm glad I found this site because it's already becoming a useful learning tool!