Narcan at the EMT level.

trackmedic

The system I came from allows EMTs to use it.  If we can teach families and junkies to use it, why can't we teach EMTs to use it?  There is always the argument that every medicine has some bad side effects, but are there any side effects worse than being dead?

• Like 1

Just only mostly dead.  

But Doc, Emt's can't even give an epi-pen what makes the states think that they can allow emt's to give narcan?????  

Disclaimer - I'm all for letting emt's give both.  

I know many medics out there who shouldn't be allowed near a drug box, let alone a needle, and they still get to give drugs, and those medics would get lost trying to get out of a wet paper bag.   

The county I am from in NY gave the cops narcan before they gave it to the EMTs.

Was the concern over provider safety maybe?  I could see LEO's being on scene of some OD calls before EMS d/t provider safety concerns. 

On a side not, I had an ICU nurse tell me to push Narcan as fast as I could and chase it was a flush to get to the patient quickly when they were just slightly respiratory depressed...  

• Like 1

No.  Because the cops are usually there first.  Or are usually in a better position to get there first.

I've worked in several systems where police are dispatched simultaneously with EMS.  Because the cops are already out on the street, usually patrolling their sector, they're going to get there first.

Was the concern over provider safety maybe?  I could see LEO's being on scene of some OD calls before EMS d/t provider safety concerns. 

On a side not, I had an ICU nurse tell me to push Narcan as fast as I could and chase it was a flush to get to the patient quickly when they were just slightly respiratory depressed...  

The cops were usually there 10-15 minutes before the ambulance.

Maybe what we need next is just a narcan pump, like for diabeticsarrow-10x10.png? Narc levels rise, resps drop, BANG, 0.5 Narcan! It would likely give a better assessment than many first responders that already know what the problem is because 'dispatch told them.'

Wonder how many junkies are now being arrested for assault on officers as they are often violent if brought fully out of their drug induced state to quickly?  Hopefully if a system allows EMT's to administer it they teach them to titrate to respiratory effort rather than slam a bunch then have a rodeo on their hands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.