EMS career in the works..

HopefulMedic

Hello EMS goers..

I am currently a student pursuing my associates degree in EMS and at the end of this fall I will be a certified EMT (assuming all goes well). My plan is to start paramedic school in the spring, and I currently have the general education courses and elective component that are the finishing requirements of the associates degree I am studying. I chose a career in EMS not for the money but because I want the reward and challenges that come with a pre hospital setting. Throughout most of high school I had always dreamt of being a Registered Nurse but as I have come to realize I feel much more suited in emergency care in the field as opposed to patient care in a medical (Hospital) setting. The questions that I have for you seasoned veterans out there are as follows: 1. Why did you choose a career in EMS? 2. Do you regret anything in your career, from an educational stand point? 3. What kind of opportunities are out there for specializing as a EMT-P? Thank you everyone :punk:

• Like 1

Welcome. Please keep up the continued work towards completing a degree in an EMS related course of study.

Don't give up on obtaining an education in, and completing degree requirements for, registered nursing. Not all nurses work in hospitals. Having a nursing background in combination with an EMS background can open many doors for you that simply having one or the other can't. If you decide to come to your senses and leave Florida behind you there are places where a combination EMS and nursing education can complement each other quite well. You will need some hospital based nursing patient care experience. However, you aren't and won't always be limited to working in a hospital.

As an aside, people don't choose EMS for the money. Is it challenging? At times, yes. Does it pay well? Not so much.

To answer your questions:

1. Too much to type out here.

2. Yes. I would've started sooner.

3. What do you want to do? In Florida you're somewhat limited to working for the fire truck drivers. Outside of Florida you're looking at opportunities with fire departments, municipal third service, military and other EMS agencies. Get a few years of experience under your belt and you could move into critical care transport. Get a few more years of experience behind you and you could be looking at remote medical support services (e.g. oil rigs, overseas industrial sites and more). With a combination NRP/RN you'll be even more versatile.

• Like 2

1. Why did you choose a career in EMS?

Long story short, to help people. Was always something that I was interested in, even from a very young age.

2. Do you regret anything in your career, from an educational stand point?

From an educational stand point? Yeah, I had to pause my EMT course (about 2.5 months in) due to student loan issues and then restart from scratch when the next EMT course opened up. If I would have done my homework I could have avoided all of that and just done it in one go. Besides that, no. Went to a great school and got a great education.

3. What kind of opportunities are out there for specializing as a EMT-P?

A lot. Do a quick google search and you'll find many routes you can take as a paramedic. CBRNE, Tactical medic, community paramedicine, flight medic, offshore oil rigs, remote medic, cruise ships, Paramedics without borders, etc etc.

Throughout most of high school I had always dreamt of being a Registered Nurse but as I have come to realize I feel much more suited in emergency care in the field as opposed to patient care in a medical (Hospital) setting.

As paramedicmike mentioned, there are really great opportunities for paramedic/RNs, mostly in the field of critical care and flight. Sit down at your computer and spend an hour or two researching the job opportunities that can come along with that combined education.

Edited by adenocard
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well a lot of paramedics to eventually become RN's. As people age and priorities shift in life you never know where it will lead you. I'm currently a paramedic and in nursing school. There are so many options for you, especially once you get your "P"

As a former medic and current ER nurse, I can tell you that you can do both.  I am actually about to start back with getting my EMT-B since I was silly and let everything lapse several years ago.  I am going back to get my EMT and then my paramedic so that I can do flights.  I've worked in the ER for a few years now and plan to transition to the ICU in a year or two.  

1) I started in EMS because like all, I wanted to help people.  I had a friend in high school who told me about becoming a junior member, and it sounded fun and cool.  12 years later, I'm still in emergency medicine. 

2) I regret letting my certifications laps when I was younger.  I moved to Colorado where EMT-I/99 wasn't really recognized and so I gave it all up for nursing.  While I absolutely freaking love being a nurse, I miss EMS and being out in the field more. 

3) If you continue and get your P, get your RN, the opportunities are endless.  There are always jobs out there for either one, and especially for both.  You could do flights, you could work in a trauma center, you could work in ground transport, you could do anything really.

Good luck and like Mike said, keep getting the pre-req's for nursing while finishing your EMS stuff, you'll thank him for that advice at some point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.