Jobs "Around" EMS

So, for those of us who are getting up there, what are you looking into doing after life in the back of the box?

Right now, I've been promoted to a "Shift Supervisor" so that they could keep me here a while longer while our new ambulances are inbound. It just so happens that now I am the most senior and experienced medic here, and the only one who had ever done anything with designing specs for new vehicles. (It's actually a hobby/time killer for me.) Our new western trained medical director has me doing all kinds of stuff for new vehicles and equipment. They are so happy with the results that they had me make a new position for myself that is awaiting approval from the CEO.

Unfortunately, I may have other plans for back in the states come spring, and may not take this position that I wrote up to fit me to a "T." Even though I'm now a big fish in a little pond, I'm getting tired of the desert, no beer, and no green grass and fishing.

All of this has gotten me to thinking that maybe I could sell ambulances or other gear. Or maybe look for a job doing consulting. Downside is that everything is experience based, and does not have a degree or diploma involved.

Anyone else in the same position with their career/life right now?

Of course, I could always retire to the Philippines with the wife, but she can make more money in the US than back there. :P

What about being a prison transport medic on the prison planes? Sort of like Con-air? I have a contact if I can ever get a hold of him I can ask him if they hire medics? I think they do. He said that it's a great gig and he lives in Costa Rica and flies in on the plane when it lands and drops off the deportees there and he flies out and takes a couple of flights and then flies home. He make great money. Plus he loves it.

• 2 weeks later...

He said that it's a great gig and he lives in Costa Rica and flies in on the plane when it lands and drops off the deportees there and he flies out and takes a couple of flights and then flies home.

That just sounds amazing.

That just sounds amazing.

and of course, in my moves from the galaxy s4 to s6 phones, 1/2 my contacts are gone, my friend who does this is one of those I lost.  Dang it.  

• 2 weeks later...

It figures. :lol:

When the wife and I were on leave in the Philippines, I thought it would be cool to teach there. The only issue is that unless you are employed by a foreign business as an employee based there, you are not legally allowed to work.

I know that USA Jobs has lots of interesting things. Unfortunately, if I took a Federal job, I would have to resign from my DMAT team.

the Prison transport program is run I believe through the department of Homeland security and the Department of prisons.  I'm thinking you must be a nurse with some sort of law enforcement background but I think my friend said that they entertained medics with significant medical backgrounds.  Maybe critical care paramedic and high volume EMS systems.  Lots of alphabet soup behind your name.  Tactical medic and flight crew would be a bonus and significicant help.  

You need to be based in the gateway cities or states such as Arizona and florida(miami), and probably california(san diego and los Angelos).  

My contact lived in Costa Rica or one of the countries that we transported a lot of the deportee's to so he had a way to get to the airport and get on the jet, he said they didn't care where he got on the jet, just as long as he got on the prison jet where it dropped people off.

One sad story, there is one country that will remain nameless, rhymes with hell nalvador, and the deporte's got off and went into three lines,  one would go to their family members, a second line would go to the prison guards and a third would line up in front of the military,  needless to say, my friend never saw those who lined up in front of the military again.  And those who went with the military were always the ones who didn't go quietly.  he said it was pretty sad.  

the pay was according to my friend, pretty damned good.  But it's just you and another nurse/medic/doctor for 8-12 hours so you need to knwo your stuff.  Sometimes its a uneventful flight and sometimes its jsut like Con-air. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.