College Degree: Operations mangement/physics?

I'm going to be transferring to college next year. I'm planning on majoring in business administration and operations management and I want to get a minor in physics for the hell of it.

Will either (or both) of these be useful when I am working as a fire/medic? or even just getting a job?

In the sense that a college degree looks good on an application, yes. It shows you have the determination and discipline to stick with something. Will what you learn specifically benefit you if you choose to work in this segment of public service? Possibly.

What's your plan for those particular courses of study?

Yes. A degree in buisness admin' (or a MBA if you actually went that far) would be very beneficial in both the fire and EMS worlds. Not at the base level though. Having a bachelors might help you get a job, but as a line paramedic or firefighter you won't use it much.

However...if you ever decide to promote or move into the administration side of things, then it will be very helpful, especially the higher up you go.

Okay. I'm also thinking about majoring in physics. All you need to be a physicist is a bachelor's degree, so I might use that as my fall back for if I get injured/don't like the fire service or EMS.

Thanks for the help!

Okay. I'm also thinking about majoring in physics. All you need to be a physicist is a bachelor's degree, so I might use that as my fall back for if I get injured/don't like the fire service or EMS.

Thanks for the help!

Unless you are Raj, Leonard, Sheldon, Leslie, Kripke, and Dr. Gablehauser from the Big Bang theory, then you need advanced degrees.

• Like 1

There are folks with undergraduate physics degrees doing amazing things and even doing research or involving themselves with research. A higher degree will likely be needed for academia and writing research proposals/protocols and obtaining good grants, but I would not discount other folks.

Unless you are Raj, Leonard, Sheldon, Leslie, Kripke, and Dr. Gablehauser from the Big Bang theory, then you need advanced degrees.

Okay, Ruff, that made my day! Read it before class. :)

I would go for undergraduate because I can't afford a doctorate like most researchers have.

Thanks again!