Not to be a wacker but...

vonk

Not to be a wacker but... I have a cheapo flashlight that i use when running calls at night, and well it does not really work consistently, any suggestions for something cheep bright and will last. I like having a light on me at night for running calls and so I don't wake people up in the bunk room in the middle of the night when getting up ad odd times.

I know some people are on a tight budget, but cheap just doesn't compute when compared to quality. As you've noticed, a cheap light doesn't last. Do you wanna spend 30 bucks a year for the next ten years replacing a cheap light, or do you want a high quality $200 light that will last for 20 years? I've got a Hollis LED6, cost me about $150 bucks at the local scuba shop. Waterproof, durable, and bright as a blue eye.

Get something like this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12176910&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.4414980

Cheap and durable. I've used them on scouting trips and when geocaching in all sorts of weather. They are also nice and compact.

Edited by ERDoc

streamlight has a wide variety of LED and combo LED / halogen beam flashlights for reasonable prices.

The one I have has three options.3 led's,- 6 led's -halogen - or 6 leds & the halogen all together. 1 1/2 in diameter and 8 in long, it is a 3 C cell aluminum tube and it's waterproof & submersible. called the twintask. Back then it was around $100

I got it over twenty years ago and carried it in my truck bag everyday.

Or there are smaller 3 led lights small enough to carry in your pocket powered by AA or AAA cells that give good light but don't have the battery life of the bigger ones.

Stay away from the rechargeable battery units. they just don't seem to last very long.

• 2 months later...

I used to watch this gardening show years ago, and the host would say that his father would tell him, "A cheap tool is an expensive tool."

That said, you can find a variety of inexpensive lights almost anywhere that actually do have a good reputation. It doesn't have to be a Surefire or a Maglight. Try going to Candlepowerforums and see what they are talking about there. They are the ultimate flashlight geeks.

Google is your friend, followed by Ebay. You can also check out the EDC forum. http://edcforums.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using my 5.11 Atac L2 for 4 years now. Although they've discontinued the L2 there are plenty of other Atac's out there. For around $100 you can get yourself a really good flashlight. It's got 3 modes, high (222 lm), low (10 lm) and strobe (222 lm). Takes 2x CR123 batteries, which are expensive but each set have lasted well over a year. It's got a belt clip built into the flashlight so you can clip it inside a velcro holder on your belt. The feature I love most though is it's got a twistable cap at the end, one position is the locked position and one is the unlocked position, I love it because it prevents me from accidentally turning it on and letting the batteries die while in my carry case on my belt.

Here is a good rundown of this particular light, which you can still get on eBay and Amazon.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336468-5-11-ATAC-L2-Review

• 2 weeks later...

Streamlight is my go to for a portable LED lights. Here is one similar to the one that I carry everyday. Its very lightweight and easy to carry.

Streamlight ProTac 1AA

They are a lot brighter than you think they will be. They are also extremely durable, I have dropped mine down three flights of stairs once and it still works. Probably the most cost effective flashlight for the money since it uses a very common battery.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.