job offer need some advice

well I'm a NREMT-B, I applied for a fire safety officer for a large shipyard, I thought I would be operating as a medic, but they tell me I will be responding to medical calls inside the yard, but that I'm a safety officer and that company policies forbid me to operate as a emt, that I can only do first aide, something about this doesn't sit well, would I be held accountable for withholding treatment, or does the company policy cover me, seems like this company is just asking for a lawsuit, say I get called to an office where someone has had a heart attack and I shock them and get them back, but I can only give mouth to mouth, even though my license says I can do more, would the company be responsible or would I, seems like to me, if we went to court and a lawyers says, why didn't you provide more treatment, what would I say, the company said I couldn't, that's crazy, I think a lawyer would be all over that, why wouldn't they want me to operate at my full potential, not sure if I should take this job or just wait on the ambulance company to hire

you must be new to the world of EMS

Welcome

the fact that you are an EMT Basic does not mean much unless you are working under medical direction for a service licensed by the state to provide prehospital emergency care.

The shipyard is not an EMS service entity so they are not hiring EMT's. they are hiring fire safety personnel to stand fire watch as other skilled employees are welding and cutting metal plate.

Yes they do want some basic first aid capability to provide first aid if needed.

you will not be held liable as you are not employed as an EMT.

" I would be operating as a medic, "

you are not a medic until you have completed a certified course of study in Paramedicine and become licensed to operate as a "medic" by the state you reside in.

If you are in need of a job , take the shipyard job , much more interesting than driving an ambulance as a new EMT. probably pays better and has better benefits package.

Edited by island emt

thanks, well I had my emt-b license for 12 years but then I didn't get a refresher and had to go back through the program but I took a 4 years break, now I'm ready to go back to the ambulance and possibly try to get my paramedic, but I appreciate the advice but I also was a firefighter, I want to go back to fire dept, that's one reason I got my emt back, but if the shipyard calls I will go and what until the fire dept hires

In reality, all anyone in that situation is going to be providing is first aid. You could have a physician there and all he/she will be doing is providing first aid until the ambulance shows up and takes over. There really isn't any issues here for you. I would advise to skip the mouth to mouth though.

It will actually be much more important to understand OSHA requirements on this job than first aid, for example, when and why you might apply a splint and what the consequences for the company might be should you choose to when it's not necessary.

No medical director means no medical care above first aid. I would be curious if an AED would fall into this category, as they're placed in public areas now for layman use?

What EMT skills above first aid would you feel might be used before an ambulance could arrive?

Edited by DwayneEMTP
Minor typo, no contextual changes made.

What EMT skills above first aid would you feel might be used before an ambulance could arrive?

That would be my question.

HOLY CRAP ::: Dwayne hasn't been kidnapped the the pygmy's in PNG

We put out the search warrant several months ago for ya buddy.

Ya the OP has gone on to other pastures where they will tell him/her it's ok to think he/she's a medic as a new basic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.