Paramedic Suicides

very moving ^^

I think it could have been written by anyone who has spent more than a couple years on the street.

It was like she was in my head and reading my thoughts.

I saw many of these things and knew when it was time to pull the plug and walk away after a 4 decade career.

I couldn't get through it without starting to cry because it rings so true for so many of us.

I must admit, I have been having second thoughts regarding Mikeymedic's apparent indifference to the suicide rate in EMS. Back when I was on the cusp, I had much the same attitude. It wasn't until recently that I realised that my indifference to the suffering of those on the job around me was not only causing them harm, but more importantly, myself. The attitude that if you can't hand;e the heat, stay out of the kitchen is rampant amongst those in our line of work, and truth be told, those words came from my mouth as well. Until I realised that it was just my cover, my denial and bravado was my coping mechanism and it was a hair's breadth from failing me and those I love.

Since then the world has been a much better place for me, my family, and my friends. Kelly Grayson's words of wisdom regarding depression quite likely helped to save my life.The gist of what he said...or how I chose to interpret it...was that once you recognise and acknowledge the cause of your drepression, it no longer has a hold over you. You can see it for what it truly is and deal with it in a healthy manner.

Shea Emry is a professional Canadian football player, and he started a foundation called www.wellmen.org to teach men that they don't have to be tough guys and fight through their depression...that there are better ways. I recently discovered his foundation and I plan to work with him to develop something for first responders of both genders.

Mikey, please, you need to deal with your issues in a healthy manner. Acknowledge them and accept them, only then can you begin to deal with them.

• Like 1

The attitude that if you can't hand;e the heat, stay out of the kitchen is rampant amongst those in our line of work

That line and way of thinking SHOULD be rampant in our line of work. Maybe in a different way than some people mean it though.

EMS, and medicine, like most jobs, is not for everyone. Not only should people be excluded from it for intellectual reasons (do you have the requisite intelligence?) but for emotional and mental reasons as well. What that means is, a career in medicine will expose you to some very disturbing things that can have a very negative, and sometimes permanent impact on your life. Not everyone is will deal with those things in a safe and appropriate manner, more importantly, not everyone is CAPABLE of dealing with those things in a safe and appropriate manner. While anyone and everyone should be encouraged and helped to seek out whatever help they need to recover from this sort of issue and supported while recovering...not everyone should be encouraged to return to their previous role. There will be many who can, and should continue. But not everyone will fit into that catagory, and people like that need to be aware of it. If early in a career it becomes clear that a person falls into the catagory of not being capable of dealing with the stress, they should be encouraged to find another career. Because, almost without a doubt, if that type of person persists, they will end up doing harm TO THEMSELVES.

And there is not, and never should be, any shame or stigma attached to that. Ever. For any reason. Personally, I would much rather work with, know, and be someone who knows and understands what their limits are, and is capable of saying, "no, for my own good, I'm done here."

Unfortunately EMS, as a culture, is moving in the direction of telling everyone, "it's ok, you can do this, you'll be fine, this jobs for you!" even when it clearly IS NOT the job for many, many people. All this does is leave more people open to harming themselves by being in a setting that they can't cope with, and should never have been in. When even the people who are best equipped and mentally prepared for this begin to have problems, this should be a bright, shining indicator that not everyone should do this, and that people need to be told up front when it is clear they are not a fit.

Without any bullshit or smoke being blown.

Think I'm wrong? Look around.

Edited by triemal04
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure it's the whole generational thing where they didn't correct their spelling or grammar errors in school because it would hurt little" johnnies "self esteem and cause him to be stunted in later life.

Kids that grew up playing on teams that everyone was a winner and got trophies for it, so as to not crush their little hearts & minds with failure.

Well guess what!!!!

They finally grow up and don't know that they are not always going to be cut out for a specific profession Such as EMS.

They get pushed along and told " go from beginner to Paramedic school without actually working in the street to find out if you have the right stuff to do this say in & day out.

MANY sadly do not.

Recently however it has been a lot of "old dogs" that have gone past the point of being able to cope with it. Folks with decades on the street who have hit their trigger points and taken the road less traveled through depression into death.

WHY ????

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read all of the posts (have to go to work),so forgive me if someone has already posted this, but I do know of a great agency made up of first responders. Someone is there 24/7 to talk to and possibly give vetted referrals to those that need local help....someone to talk to. I've called them before and they are fantastic. It's called safe call now. safecallnow.org.

Just putting it out there. They helped me recently with this very topic. I attended the funerals of two friends, this past weekend, that committed suicide.

Something that people are reluctant to talk about is survivor guilt. "Why didn't I see?" "Why wasn't I there?" "Could I have done more?"

Edited by Violyn
  • Like 2

www.safecallnow.org

877-230-6060

206-459-3020

(I carry a card from them in my wallet)

My understanding is that they are more geared towards cops, but take in anyone from fire/EMS with open arms, literally and well as figuratively.

I haven't read all of the posts (have to go to work),so forgive me if someone has already posted this, but I do know of a great agency made up of first responders. Someone is there 24/7 to talk to and possibly give vetted referrals to those that need local help....someone to talk to. I've called them before and they are fantastic. It's called safe call now. safecallnow.org.

Just putting it out there. They helped me recently with this very topic. I attended the funerals of two friends, this past weekend, that committed suicide.

Something that people are reluctant to talk about is survivor guilt. "Why didn't I see?" "Why wasn't I there?" "Could I have done more?"

I'm sorry for your loss. Just for my statistical purposes, were your friends part of the First Responder family?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.