Paramedic Suicides

Yeah, I've had three provider friends kill themselves. I've had 6 that have perished in either fires or in crashes. But more die in fires and crashes so we need to focus on those right.

I had the extreme displeasure of working on one of those suicides. Something I believe could have been prevented had that provider (all 3 may have been prevented) come to someone or ME!!!!!! and said "Mike, I need help" but he didn't, he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. WE worked him but I'll never forget the scene.

If only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

the majority of ambulance crashes are avoidable so it's not the same comparison.

A few happen without any chance of avoiding , such as another vehicle suddenly crossing the center line. but many occur at intersections where if due regaurd was used could be avoided.

Like michael , I've lost several friends over my career and the worst was one who killed himself & was found by one of his kids.

She will need counseling for the rest of her life.

Hey, put your efforts wherever you want, for whatever cause you want. I am just saying that in the grand scheme of things, if only 34 people die from something in a year, regardless of the reason, its not a big deal. I am sure at least 34 people died from bicycle accidents last year, but I am not going to outlaw bicycles or start a fund raiser for those who died; if you wish to, go ahead. I doubt that the suicide rate in our industry is any higher than any other industry, and I seriously doubt that it is the highest of all industries.

You're missing the point Mikey, it's not the number of suicides, it's the number per 100,000. In Canada the national average in 2009 was 11.8 per 100,000 people. The suicide rate for first responders is more than double the national average. Why is there such a discrepancy? The only real difference from the national average is the carreer.

34 people might have died in bicycle accidents, but how many million rode a bike there are far more bicycle riders out there than there are first responders? In that case, the numbers just aren't as significant and you're comparing apples to oranges.

• Like 3

.I make my kids wear bicycle helmets and teach them to be safe on the road. I put them in swimming lessons so they would be safe around water. I do this because I look after my own, I don't concern myself with what the other kids are doing.

Let Drs worry about Drs and accountants worry about accountants. I posted this because I care about my colleagues and believe us as a profession (if you consider us a profession) should look after our own; that is why I posted this. You think it is no big deal; fair enough that is your choice. As long as people keep thinking it is no big deal nothing will ever be done, our colleagues will suffer in silence until it becomes too much for them, then they will end their own suffering.

Personally I am lucky; I have a great support group. Our service offers a confidential employee assistance program that offers counselling to those that needs it. Some services are not so lucky.

I am sure we will continue to disagree about the importance of this, that’s alright, that, is what open dialogue is about

• Like 2

Well I guess that the 74 people with Measles is not an epidemic, but the media sure seems to make it seem like it's an epidemic.

Oh wait, only 74 have measles so it's not an epidemic according Mikey's reasoning.

• Like 1

It's not an epidemic, if only 34 died in a year, Sorry !

You realise that's 34 in Canada alone, right? That would equate to about 400 in the United States. Do you give a shit yet? Maybe you will when it's someone you care about, if anyone fits that criteria.

The fact that you are in such a state of denial is worrisome. It's people like you, those who cannot recognise the problem who are the ones that are dying. I have grave concerns for your mental health my friend.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

If you believe wikipedia (if you don't, google your favorite resource), in 2005, there were around 35,000 suicides in the US ---- if 400 (to use your exagerated number) of them were EMTs, that would be less than 1%. I am sure there are many professions with the same or higher rate (stockbrokers for example, or in the past few years in the US, maybe construction or real estate folks).

Suicide is sad no matter what their profession was, but to think that EMS is leading the category is proposterous --- if anything, I would say the EMS folks probably have the lowest rate as we see how precious life is every day as we bag up the ones who died at too young of an age (for whatever reason). You guys love your facts, scientific surveys, and stats on here, so prove me wrong with some science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_the_United_States

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.