Failed NREMT, do I have to pay again?

nope you are paying for the testing center again no matter how many times you need to take a test written at a 8th grade level in order to get an entry level job.

you had better reread the rules. you do not get six tries to pass the test.

Edited by island emt
  • Like 2

IT wasn't a question, if you re-read Island's statement, he said the you have to pay the testing center no matter how many times you take the test. It's pretty standard across all job fields that you have to pay for each time you take a test, SAT, ACT, NCLEX, MCAT, and yes even the basic NREMT exam. You also do not get 6 attempts to pass this test.

My suggestion to OP is to study, study every day like it is your job, and try again in a month or two. Go back to your instructor and ask for help, take practice exams, ask questions here. OP it sounds like you were seriously misinformed about NREMT, I suggest looking at their website some more and educating yourself about how the exam works.

• Like 2

IT wasn't a question, if you re-read Island's statement, he said the you have to pay the testing center no matter how many times you take the test.

Hi, scubanurse... You sort of lost me on this portion of your comment. :confused:

I should have made the initial quote " ... how many times you need to take a test written at a 8th grade level in order to get an entry level job." which would indicate that it was only part of his comment. I knew it wasn't a question, but it looked like it in my original comment. In any case, I believe my point was made about the comment being snarky or uncalled for.

I did upvote your suggestion since you included useful information. For that, I thank you.

Edited by cuffs007

I'm not convinced that any snark was intended. Nothing he posted was inaccurate. There is a certain amount of responsibility that people need to accept when it comes to moving into a professional discussion/forum/environment. That the OP did not know even basic information regarding testing policies and procedures raises an awful lot of questions.

To the OP: you will get answers from a variety of sources. Specifically, however, you need to follow up with NREMT and your instructors to ensure you are both prepared to take the retest and are familiar with the costs and testing policies involved in your limited number of retests.

Wasn't any snark involved.

Just the facts

The test is written to an 8th grade reading & comprehension level

you do have to pay the testing fee no matter how many times you take it,

You cannot retake the national registry exam 6 times.

EMT-B is an entry level position.

• Like 1

Another piece of info:

The national registry is not a certifying or rule making organization. they are a test writing business,

they gather data and sell it to outside organizations.

They contract the actual testing to an outside contractor who runs the computerized testing sites.

they collect money from memberships and use it for lobbying efforts to promote themselves.

Yes the N/R is becoming required by more states in order to be licensed by that state to be an EMS provider as it tells the state the candidate has been able to be taught a similar set of knowledge to be able to pass a test written and supervised by the NR.

This allows the state to pass off the test writing and administering cost to a third party contractor.

ACtually you can take NREMT six times. You just have to take a refresher course after the third attempt, which you'll have to pay for as well. So that's 70 per test attempt and however much (usually 100 or more) for the refresher.

And I didn't see any snark. The rules are laid out pretty clearly from NREMT for anyone who bothers to read them.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.