To Badge or Not To Badge... That is The Question.

Medic60

What do you think as EMS? Do you or do you not wear a badge in uniform? Our class A's require badges with "Volunteer member" but we can have hip or breast badges (full size-star of life and Emergency Medical Technician-Volunteer member dependent...) on our class B and C Station shirt/T-Shirt--Polo/vest respectively... Would you wear a badge to identify yourself or hold some authority in the presence of LEO while working a scene, or would you just stay with your shirt and ID??? My badge attached It's a stock model because it's easier for the department to fit all volunteers with one badge

post-72631-0-05943900-1419674101_thumb.j

My badge attached It's a stock model because it's easier for the department to fit all volunteers with one badge

Sorry guys, meant to say that this is a "replica" of my badge, obviously not going to put my badge and number on the web...

most professionals don't worry about being badge bunnies.

1. A badge is more likely to get you shot at by folks who don't look kindly on law enforcement.

2. any douche can buy a generic badge from a galls catalog so they are meaningless.

3. children seem to play with fake badges until they grow up

4. A badge doesn't make you a licensed emergency medical technician in the eyes of the law.

5. flashing one when not licensed is a crime.

• Like 1

a badge offers nothing over an ID card unless there is a specific piece of law that requires it and gives some sort of 'power ' becasue you have it

the badges worn by most US police officers usually include their badge / warrant number and show that their powers are legit

another random badge from galls or whoever means nothing

You put yourself at huge risk when you put on a badge.

Honest question, who's idea was it to put a badge on your uniform? Is the one who decided that you had to put a badge on, was he a cop in a former life?

I think it's a stupid idea for any EMS crew to have to wear a badge. Especially in this current charged climate where people are fighting and killing LEO's. If just puts a UNNECESARY target on your crews.

I would be fighting tooth and nail to not wear a badge.

If any of your crews get assaulted or worse, the blame should lie on the guy who forced you to wear the badge.

I've worked in many areas and not a single one of those areas had EMS wearing badges.

NOW CAVEAT - a badge on your uniform during a funeral or some other significant event where you are representing your department I am not against, but on duty taking care of patients - NO Way Jose'

The uniform, doesnt require a badge, its completely optional to wear my/your volunteer badge while on duty, it just helps when you show up to a scene in plain clothes and a license plate that says "firefighter" to identify yourself to the scene command. Obviously, if your not on duty or on call why carry it? Most of us dont, plenty of us keep the badge in the glovebox or our jump bag in case we need it, but other than that, only our "showy" volunteers who like the publicity wear them...So thanks for the comments, I was just wondering what others thought...

If you're 14 like you claim how are you showing up on scene in a car with a license plate that says "firefighter"? You can't drive yet.

I'll only echo the comments made by others here and go one further by saying perhaps if EMS moved away from the volunteer model and stopped giving away services for free (and thereby devaluing the industry as a whole) then we wouldn't have to worry about silly things like badges. As it stands EMS has larger things to worry about than wearing badges. Education, for example, is something to worry about.

• Like 1

You know, you haven't been very clear in this post. You said that your class A's required badges yet now you say you don't have to wear it and you will probably put it in your glove compartment.

My advice, since you are 14 and you should NOT be responding on your own.

Plus wouldn't your Law Enforcement members know it if you responded and pulled your medical bags or bunker gear out of your car.

Honestly your cops have better things to worry about than someone showing up at a scene impersonating a EMS or fire fighter. I'm sure that's at the bottom of their list of things to worry about. If you show up with the equipment they are going to expect that you are who you say you are.

One honest question, do you have that big of a problem in your area with people impersonating EMS/Firefighters that badges are necessary? If you do, then your system, In Dustdevil's lingo - SUCKs.

you really should spend more time in the books getting an education, than watching shows like turd watch or rescue me.

You have a severe case of wackeritus.

Are you in NJ by chance?

If you're 14 like you claim how are you showing up on scene in a car with a license plate that says "firefighter"? You can't drive yet.

maybe he got the state to change the laws so he could be the super hero responder like he claims they did with his EMS license

You know, you haven't been very clear in this post. You said that your class A's required badges yet now you say you don't have to wear it and you will probably put it in your glove compartment.

Only our Class A requires a pinned breast badge, but our other classes dont require but are optional to wear a badge on our hip or our breast opposite out tags. obviously on shirts that dont have our insignia sowed in our scanned...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.