Endotracheal Intubation vs. King LT

Kn.ght1

...I suspect the ETI success rate in BC is largely attributable to the fact an average ALS provider can expect to perform at minimum 20 to 30 intubations per year.

Possible reasons for these services success rates are numerous. Here are a few of the easily identifiable culprits for anyone not familiar with these services.

1) High level of intubation experience.

2) CPR continued and never stopped during intubation attempts (This is drilled in at every opportunity. CPR does not stop for intubation)

3) Regular Airway Management review/training (BCAS uses the AIMS program)

4) High levels of cardiac arrest management experience (ALS providers can expect to work at minimum 15 to 20 arrests per year)

5) Increased venous return as a result of eliminating intrinsic peep via intubation (something that does not happen using an EGD)

The number of variables are staggering when you really start to look at it. What is best in one service delivery model is not necessarily best in another.

What!? You mean if you really learn how to do something in the first place, perform it on a regular basis, and continue to train on it you'll actually become good at it!? BLASPHEMER! That defies all logic! EMS logic that is...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. In all seriousness though, there are departments out there that work like that, and have published their data. I wish that was the message that people were actually taking home, not just the standard "don't do this" one.

What!? You mean if you really learn how to do something in the first place, perform it on a regular basis, and continue to train on it you'll actually become good at it!? BLASPHEMER! That defies all logic! EMS logic that is...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. In all seriousness though, there are departments out there that work like that, and have published their data. I wish that was the message that people were actually taking home, not just the standard "don't do this" one.

Education and procedural competence. A great practitioner knows the when and what of a treatment plan in addition to being able to perform the appropriate procedure in a timely manner.

All the education in the world won't help if you're incapable of performing the correct procedure. All the procedural competence in the world won't help if you don't which procedure should be performed. The two are forever linked.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.