Combat medics transition to paramedics

ghostmed3

In the Canadian Forces, our Med Techs take the Primary Care Paramedic course and get licensed as PCP as part of their training. CF Medics regularly do shifts on civilian ambulances during their time in the forces to keep up their skills when it comes to things beyond dealing with healthy 20-40 year olds. Makes the transition to civilian paramedicine fairly easy if that's where they choose to go.

• 4 months later...

I spent 11 years on Active Service-as a Hospital Corpsman I had extensive training with Doctors, Nurses, Ect, Ect, Ect. Unfortunately in the United States- Military training

does not transfer well with the Local Universities. I have the Training, but no College Credentials. I Had to retake EMT, EMT-S, and Paramedic all over again. Military Duty and civilian duty are two different animals. End of Story. I live in Detroit, MI- I should have got a work Visa and moved to Canada. Apparently our friends in Canada have a better Training Program then here in the States. Cheers. Hindsight is 20/20.

In the Canadian Forces, our Med Techs take the Primary Care Paramedic course and get licensed as PCP as part of their training. CF Medics regularly do shifts on civilian ambulances during their time in the forces to keep up their skills when it comes to things beyond dealing with healthy 20-40 year olds. Makes the transition to civilian paramedicine fairly easy if that's where they choose to go.

All true. Where our CF medics end up getting the shaft is if they stay in long enough to almost be trained to the ACP level but leave prior to becoming a PA. If a CF Med Tech leaves at any point prior to PA training they are bounced right back down to PCP even though their training may be significantly more advanced. Canadian Forces Med Tech training is delivered in modules associated with rank after they complete their PCP training. The problem with the module system the Canadian Forces has developed is that it doesn't line up with the Canadian National Occupational Competency Profile.

Canadian Med Tech's would be served very well by an education unification whereby the NOCPs and CF modules were unified. IE. once you have completed module X you are allowed to challenge the ACP licensing exam.

It's something that truly matters to these vets. The average wage for a full time PCP in BC for example is $68,000/year (base salary), while a typical ACP makes $81,000/year or more (base salary). In most provinces the difference in education between PCP and ACP is quite significant so I don't dispute the difference in wages. What I do take issue with, is our failure to assist veterans in bridging into the civilian system without having to start back almost on square one (and on their own dime).

• Like 1

Explain to me the basic concepts of 12 Lead EKG (How do you identify a STEMI), and how Dopamine and Dobutamine works, in as few words as possible. There is a big difference in treating mostly trauma, to having to treat everything a regular Paramedic has to treat in a non-combat role. I will be waiting for your quick and immediate response since you need no further training (Its 12/12/2014; about 7:30am EST in the USA).

Explain to me the basic concepts of 12 Lead EKG (How do you identify a STEMI), and how Dopamine and Dobutamine works, in as few words as possible. There is a big difference in treating mostly trauma, to having to treat everything a regular Paramedic has to treat in a non-combat role. I will be waiting for your quick and immediate response since you need no further training (Its 12/12/2014; about 7:30am EST in the USA).

Did you actually read the post? The suggestion was that military medic education be brought in line with civilian medic education so that these vets did not have to start all over again when leaving the armed forces.

Oh I agree with that part of the arguement. There should be some type of bridge program like we have for Paramedic to RN, for all veterans (whether its medical, firefighting, police, driving 18-wheelers ---- they have shown the capacity to do a version of that work in the most horrible conditions --- there should be a way for them to transition to a civilian career over here, but it shouldn't be automatic, there has to be some instruction). I was responding to his earlier rants and raves, I missed the post where he apologized and mentioned his temper.

Thank you for your service GHOST.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NO: what Mike is saying is that people who have served in the military as combat medics are given an intensive course in combat lifesaving.

While there are some advanced skillsets taught and some pharmacology taught. It is however nowhere near the same as a full Paramedic degree college level course of instruction.

Yes there are some senior military medics & corpsman that have many years of experience that could transition to a civilian Paramedic level as they have completed the required education and have experienced many different types of duty over their careers in the military.

We had a Senior Chief corpsman who had served in independent duty stations such as on a sub or in remote duty stations who was every bit as experienced as any P.A .and the one young Doctor we had assigned to us , often went to him for advice and to share in his wisdom gained over 25 years in the Navy.

While you and thousands of others were serving in a war zone it really doesn't make you any more special than the tens of thousands of us that served in past conflicts, so the special benefits being given to the new generation of veterans rubs the wrong way to many people.

that sums it all up

there is often ganshing of teeth and wailing i nthe UK as there qualifications held by military medics in the UK didn;t transition to the EMS qualifications especially in the 'closed shop' era of IHCD - now it;s a case of not having the Educational stuff the HCPC require for paramedic.

the MOS /CEG for military medics is very wide from people working in similar roles to paramedics ( and in some cases holding a paramedic qualification ) through to someone who is effectively a Primary care practice / hospital adminstrator with an EMT cert or a 'Canvas Maintainance Technician' in a Field hospital unit ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.