Treatment skill: 911 vs convo

ghostmed3

Is there a difference in the response and treatment between the same type of crew. Both crews are AEMT and emt. They both have the same stuff. The treatment is the same. I don't understand the difference.

The treatment should be the same be they 911 crew, a transport crew or a crew that does standby's, the treatment should be the same until the patient it delivered to definitive care at the hospital.

Why are you focused on who does it better rather than how can YOU do it better. That's what YOU should be focusing on not on who does it better.

And what is with your last sentence of your most recent post "With not sith***" What does that mean.

Your concept in theroy is correct but not true. All crews of same licensing should produce the same out come however in truth we all know this doesn't happen as often as it should. I can verify that at my own service. In regard to I should be most concerned about my performance, yes, I do believe anyone in this field must be as prepared and able as they can be, that being said, is it not quite selfish of those in senior positions or any position at all for that matter, to only have focus upon their skill set? Why would we not want to ensure that no matter what service all of those around us are trained, confident and held to the same level as ourself? It is quite possible the context of my original question has been a bit skewed. It is not a matter of who is "better", but who gives better treatment. Now this is where I feel things have gone off track. Now yes by treatment I mean just that, but...not just in medicine in the back of our units. Example, do we all feel 911 and private have the same compassion toward pts. Do we all believe a person who has made a career in private ems lacks skills any any areas? So on and such

Paramedicmike... I started this post with several thoughts actually but in the end I wanted to get a feel of whether or not most in our field believe one service may produce more satisfied personnel over the course of ones career. I know much more goes into it but my focus is on pt care in this topic, again not only medical but the entire pt experience.

I feel satisfied in my service for the most part and look forward to growing with them. I jusf want to get other opinions to pad my decision to forego 911 or if I should consider a swap.

Your concept in theroy is correct but not true.

Come again? How does this work?

All crews of same licensing should produce the same out come however in truth we all know this doesn't happen as often as it should. I can verify that at my own service. In regard to I should be most concerned about my performance, yes, I do believe anyone in this field must be as prepared and able as they can be, that being said, is it not quite selfish of those in senior positions or any position at all for that matter, to only have focus upon their skill set? Why would we not want to ensure that no matter what service all of those around us are trained, confident and held to the same level as ourself?

So are you arguing that providers in another service should be held to the standards set by your service? On what grounds are you basing this argument?

Focus on those things to which you can reasonably apply yourself. Other services have their own management structure, their own medical command structure and their own standards to which you are not held because you don't work there. If you don't trust providers in another service there's very little you can do organizationally to change that short of getting involved in that organization.

It is quite possible the context of my original question has been a bit skewed.

Yes. I think this is absolutely true because nothing you have posted since your OP has followed a logical train of thought. It may make sense in your own head. However, you're not coming across very clearly here.

It is not a matter of who is "better", but who gives better treatment. Now this is where I feel things have gone off track. Now yes by treatment I mean just that, but...not just in medicine in the back of our units. Example, do we all feel 911 and private have the same compassion toward pts. Do we all believe a person who has made a career in private ems lacks skills any any areas? So on and such

This isn't a matter of what we all feel. Are you seriously going to base your decisions on what we all feel? Stand up for your own positions. Be able to defend them and your actions if asked. Do the right thing for the right reason at the right time. Who cares what other people do?

Paramedicmike... I started this post with several thoughts actually but in the end I wanted to get a feel of whether or not most in our field believe one service may produce more satisfied personnel over the course of ones career. I know much more goes into it but my focus is on pt care in this topic, again not only medical but the entire pt experience.

I feel satisfied in my service for the most part and look forward to growing with them. I jusf want to get other opinions to pad my decision to forego 911 or if I should consider a swap.

As I noted earlier, this has nothing to do with the question you asked in the OP.

You need to make the best decisions for you. Do you want to stay where you are? Then stay there. Do the best job you can. Succeed.

Do you want to change your focus to a 911 environment? Then change your focus and move to 911.

I get the feeling you're trying to bait an argument here. Based on what I'm reading from your comments the only person who can answer your questions is you. Do what *you* need to do.

Edited by paramedicmike

You're asking two very different questions here.

Regarding who's "better," that's completely variable from area to area, service to service, and person to person. In some areas private ambulances, even if they do not respond to 911 calls, will have very motivated, well educated providers. In some areas the ambulances that respond to 911 calls, private or otherwise, will have dumb, lazy providers. And vice versa of course. There is to much variability across the country to say definatively which is more prevalent. Nor does it really matter all that much beyond what you are dealing with in your own area.

Now, if you want to talk personal opinions, that's different. Based on my own experience, in MY opinion and in MY area, generally the non-private
providers are better. Of course, this is only my opinion; doesn't make it right, and since I still recognize that and understand that it very well
may not be accurate in a multitude of situations...it doesn't really matter that much.

As far as what you should do...that is entirely dependant upon you. If you have the opportunity to move into management, and that's something that you want to do, then you just need to decide if it's a service you want to be in that position with. You can always move back to being a field provider, and having a supervisory position on your resume is always a good thing.

Edited by triemal04
  • Like 1

Your concept in theroy is correct but not true. All crews of same licensing should produce the same out come however in truth we all know this doesn't happen as often as it should. I can verify that at my own service. In regard to I should be most concerned about my performance, yes, I do believe anyone in this field must be as prepared and able as they can be, that being said, is it not quite selfish of those in senior positions or any position at all for that matter, to only have focus upon their skill set? Why would we not want to ensure that no matter what service all of those around us are trained, confident and held to the same level as ourself? It is quite possible the context of my original question has been a bit skewed. It is not a matter of who is "better", but who gives better treatment. Now this is where I feel things have gone off track. Now yes by treatment I mean just that, but...not just in medicine in the back of our units. Example, do we all feel 911 and private have the same compassion toward pts. Do we all believe a person who has made a career in private ems lacks skills any any areas? So on and such

I disagree with your premise, I never said same outcome, I said same level of care and treatment. Outcome between the two is often drastically different if a crew who has never worked a code works one compared to the same level crew that has worked 20 right? Many transfer crews don't see critical patients, but they all have the foundational base to take care of patients until they get them to definitive care. That's my premise.

You are asking the question of who should give better treatment to this apneic patient. A AEMT and EMT Crew run by a 911 service or a AEMT and and EMT crew run by a transfer service.

They better give the same level of treatment which is what they were trained to do. Your arguments have been very difficult to follow and honestly if you are considering a management level position at your company, please don't take this the wrong way, but you might, I would think about some college level management courses because if what we are reading here has come off as disjointed thinking from you then your crews are going to recognize it as well and when and if you ever are a manager the level of respect you will have with your staff will not be very high. Not busting your balls (to quote Dwayne) but just bringing it to your attention. Take a look at Mike's response as well.

The college level courses will also allow you to develop your shortcomings into strengths. That's a win right?

I've already said that the only person or persons you should be worrying about are those in your immediate realm of control ergo, yourself, your crew, those you might supervise and those who supervise you. Keep track of your six and always strive to learn something from every situation, that's what makes a good manager.

I would strongly suggest investing in a good E-book reader and get the Kindle Unlimited subscription for 9.99 a month - first month free and take a look at the Business and money category and start reading some of the titles that interest you if you are wanting a management job. There's a good selection of books that will be of value to you and others here as well.

For those that cant seem to follow my ever erratic thoughts im so sorry. Yes I have bounced around tremendously on my post, given this is my first I have ever posted here. To those who have attempted to get the point and answer the given yet random questions I have posed, thanks for the input. This was mean to be a fairly open ended not too serious conversation about the 2 sides of ems and the difference in service and care.

For me, I am at this point. 911 vs private service: yes both have their pros and cons as some of you have mentioned.

Yes all prrsons trained in the same field of study should he able to treat accordingly, I feel I just haven't allowed for the human factor of how different ppl react to the same situation.

As fas as my thought process and the fact that I have reservations and concerns, doesnt suggest I would be respected less but possibly just maybe someone would see the fact im not trying to be seen as a know it all and am wanting the opinions of the majority and not just myself.

If that is a sign of weakness in someone who cares about being a leader then its sad, how many new leaders thought they had it all figured out only to be shown the door?

So yes very random points in my post but who knows whats next

I'm taking a WAG that you are thumb typing on a phone as your grammar and syntax come across as texting speak.

Should not matter where you are working as an EMT-A. You should have the same knowledge, training & skill-sets.

In reality as a transfer jockey, you are less likely to use that knowledge and skill-set as often, so it may not be as sharp when needed.

If that is a sign of weakness in someone who cares about being a leader then its sad, how many new leaders thought they had it all figured out only to be shown the door?

So yes very random points in my post but who knows whats next

I'm not sure if that's directed at me or not. I will assume it was and then you can correct as directed

Were you disjointed by my suggestions as to books to read to be a better manager? or my suggestions that your disjointed thought process would make you look less of a leader? I hope you didn't take that personally, it was truly not a personal attack.

True Mike,

A leader leads by example and empowers the people he leads.

A manager manages his people.

It's possible to do both but you can't truly do both exceptionally well.

I have a manager who manages very well but she is NO leader. My team leader leads our team by example and helps me want to be a better analyst. See the difference?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.