Treatment skill: 911 vs convo

ghostmed3

And what's "hetter"

I am assuming it's "better" and not "hetter"

Let me turn this back around to the OP - what is your opinion first? Who do you think gives better treatment? Please give us more to go on than what you have.

We aren't being punk'd here are we or is this some research paper that you were assigned?

Convalescent service....this is a rather serious question actually. I have served as a combat medic, emergency room emt, emt iv and aemt. Does anyone believe that those with 911 treat pts better than ppl that have only been in say an er or a private ambulance.

I know its a broad question but im looking for what ppl believe on all sides of this.

ahhh Grasshopper, got it now.

Well it depends on what kind of private or convalescent service transports. Do they just do transports from nursing home to doctors offices or hospitals to nursing homes then I think that they have the market cornered or treatment of grandma and gramps and the bedside manner.

But put them in an emergent situation and I am almost positive that they would be hard pressed to treat them to the level of a 911 provider that sees critical patients on a daily basis.

Take into consideration this quote from Bruce Lee

Be not afraid of the man who has practiced 10000 kicks but be deathly afraid of the man who has practiced one single style kick 10000 times. Paraphrased but you get my thought process.

If you take care of hundreds of sick patients on a 911 truck you get pretty good at it but if you only take care of 1 sick patient on a transfer truck in a six month period then you probably aren't going to be very good at it.

So yes I do believe that I as a 911 provider do take better care of patients than someone who only does transfers from hospital to nursing home and vice versa.

Does that make sense????

I think this highly depends on where you practice. Where I came from, 911 was run by vollies and most people who worked in the privates came from the vollies. I learned more doing the hospital d/cs and IFTs than I ever did on a 911 call. It also depends on what you mean by treatment skill.

Well the private service I work for does transport service as well as a fairly steady volume of folks going into the er as well. However I do see your point.

This sounds like you're either trying to justify one is better than the other or looking for information to help bolster your argument with your coworkers that one is better than the other.

Care to clarify?

To be quite honest its mainly that at this point in my career im at a point of do I want to stay in private services and make a bigger push into management or switch to 911.

I practice in Tennessee. As far as treatment skill allow me to clarify a bit. Lets say we have a private unit sith aemt and emt crew and 911 unit with aemt and emt crew. Now I know the majority of 911 here has paramedics but for the sake of this post...lets go with resp distress call extended periods of apnea, pt managing 5-6 breathes/ min, spo2 in low 80s, fully unresponsive during apnea, not AAO. 911 and private folks alike, whats your course of action?

With not sith***

So what's really your question? What would be a better course of action for you and your career? Or is it something else?

Why are you concerned about who may be better at something than someone else? Why aren't you worried about you being good at what you do no matter what type of patient you have in front of you?

I don't understand your concern about who is better when looking at a 911 versus interfacility and how it plays in to your decision to move into management or move into a 911 environment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.