Being the low one on the totem pole

So I was wondering how you guys dealt with being the new EMT/medic..

it seems to me that it is difficult for me to voice an opinion sometimes (such as: "he doesn't need that board and collar")

anyone else have this experience?

luckily my on-call night crew is great, but in the daytime we get who we get, be it the most experienced member or the guy who rides one call per year

As the new guy, you must first realize that you do not know squat. You have "book/class-room knowledge", you do not have "real knowledge". This is not to say you should not speak up if someone is obviously killing a patient, but for you to think you are smarter than those who have done the job for years is an arrogant position at best. Watch and learn, get your street smarts, and then offer your opinion. But even then, I always offer suggestions; I try not to dictate orders unless someone is obviously lost -- in which case they are usually grateful to get the monkey off of their back.

There is a time and place for everything. Figuring out that time and place will come with experience. As Mikeymedic said if your partner(s) is/are obviously killing a patient then the time and place to say something is right then and there. Otherwise, if you're not running the call watch, learn, observe. Suggestions as questions, (e.g. "Hey, do you want me to splint this obviously deformed and fractured arm?") can be a good, non-confrontational way to get involved. Understand that you might be told "No".

Being the new guy is a tough position in which to find yourself. Part of gaining experience in this field, however, comes with learning how to be a good partner. This position is different from taking the lead on a call. You don't have to, and most likely won't, lead every call. Learn from each call. Be patient. Continue being involved. As you build experience you'll do more, get more involved, earn the trust of the others there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.