might be feeling the burnout

I have been doing this for 3years now (as an emt) and I work for a private company. In the last 2 months I have switched to overnights. I have noticed (especially yesterday during shift) that I have been more irritable easily offended or too critical of my partners. Luckily I have not been this way with my patients but from what I have read that seems to be the next step I dont want that. I have always wanted to do my best and do things as by the book as I can (i understand the grey areas). I still very much love what I do and taking care of people. I am afraid of getting to that point where (like many people I have seen) sadly become jaded and hate comming to work. I work all the time but I try to take off a weekend here or there to get a break. Next month will be the first real vacation I have had in 4years so I am hoping that will take the edge off. I was wondering if anyone has any advice to help me from gett ok ng completely burned out because I dont want to quit but I also know that I have made a fool of myself over the last few days when I finally noticed what was going on.

Thank you

Not everyone can or should work 3rd shift due to the inability to roll your schedule around by 12 hours.

I began working as a 3rd shifter in high school and have always preferred the nights.

I can come home in the mornings and relax a little while doing chores and then go to sleep and get restful sleep in the daylight hours.

Not all folks can do this due to family circumstances or noise or just can't unwind.

Then comes time to get ready to go to work when everyone else is unwinding for the night.

You go to work tired and running short on sleep so you are just a wee bit testy, and then someone winds you up.

There have been many studies done over the years about increased risks of heart disease, stroke & early death in shift workers.

Recent results trend towards high risks involved in upset circadian rhythm in causing long term illnesses.

Maybe you are not cut out to be a vampire

The first step is admitting there might be an issue. And for those out there who never take a vacation for many different reasons, some of which I've heard are stupid reasons especially if you are not taking a vacation because your service needs you, that's just plain stupid.

But back to the regularly scheduled thread

When you go on vacation, turn off all devices that might let you hear scanner traffic or whatnot, a vacation is simply a tool to get away from it all.

Just get away from it, and just relax if you can.

Thank you. This has been helpful. I was able to change how I sleep no problem but I have noticed getting a routine down has not quite happened yet but I know that takes time.

• 4 weeks later...

I took a 3 year vacation from being a paramedic, best time ever. Doubled my salary, got a masters degree, lost extra pounds, and have a regular sleep cycle. I'll recommend it for anyone :turned:

"I work all the time but I try to take off a weekend here or there to get a break."

I am not sure how many hours per week or month that equates to in your world, but I have always said, "You could get a job having sex for 100 hours per week, and you know what; after a few weeks you would get tired of having sex". Dont do EMS any more than the 40-56 hours per week, that is a normal schedule. And take a vacation at least yearly; even if you do not go anywhere, take a week off from work. If you need more hours to make ends meet, do something else part-time.

Edited by mikeymedic1984

P.S.:

I am sure i know what you meant by:

"I have noticed (especially yesterday during shift) that I have been more irritable easily offended or too critical of my partners. Luckily I have not been this way with my patients but from what I have read that seems to be the next step I dont want that. I have always wanted to do my best and do things as by the book as I can."

But just in case I should have interpreted it directly as you typed it: No matter what kind of day you are having, you do not have the right to take it out on your partner(s). And yes, your patients can tell by your body language and facial expressions when you are having a bad day, even though you are not "impolite" --- just as you can, when you encounter those people in your life.

The good news is you noticed this all on your own without having it expressed to you in a manager's meeting where your behavior is being documented. Take a vacation.

I have already said in this thread, identifying that you have a problem is the first step. Working to deal with it is the next step.

Just changing shifts may not be the answer but it might be the catalyst that starts the change you need or maybe not. That will depend on if you make other changes as well. Just changing shifts and not making core changes in work life balance will just make you pissed off at a new partner and the same patients.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.