how do best handle a gun?

I got stumped on this one...

on scene treating a male who was shot. you see the need to remove a nearby handgun to treat the patient. wht is the proper way?

2 fingers on the slide?

by holding the grips?

sticking a pen in the barrel to lift it?

2 fingers holding the trigger guard?

no no no no no, you put the pen in the trigger area, that's where the pen goes. Jeesh, where'd you learn to handle a gun.

The correct answer at a shooting scene is "officer, please secure this gun"

The other question is this "Why are you touching a piece of evidence at a crime scene when the police should be doing it?"

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

Never put a pen near the trigger as it might just be loaded and ready to fire.

As everyone else has said that is evidence in a crime and the police are responsible for it's chain of possession as evidence.

They need to know exactly where it was found & in what position.

If you are on scene before the police at a shooting : It's time to bitch slap your dispatchers for putting your lives in a dangerous place.

If police are delayed you should be staging away from scene and waiting for them to secure the scene for you.

I have been at a shooting with police on scene ahead of us when a gangbanger popped out of a closet with a tec 9 and let loose down the hallway in our direction.

Only thing that saved my partner & I from injury was the cop who knocked us down while trying to flee down the hallway to safety as the 9mm bullets stitched the wall 2 feet over our heads.

That was a definite code brown night in the hood.

hmm...this question has the look of a multiple guess question from an exam...so let's take a look from that angle.

These are your only four choices and you have to choose one....which would it be?

My answer would be "D", Two fingers on the trigger guard.

"A" and "B" may ruin fingerprints, and "C" is just plain stupid.

Edited by Arctickat

hmm...this question has the look of a multiple guess question from an exam...so let's take a look from that angle. These are your only four choices and you have to choose one....which would it be? My answer would be "D", Two fingers on the trigger guard. "A" and "B" may ruin fingerprints, and "C" is just plain stupid. My answer would have to be E none of the above. As said before, the police are there for a reason and it's their job to control and secure crime scenes.

hmm...this question has the look of a multiple guess question from an exam...so let's take a look from that angle. These are your only four choices and you have to choose one....which would it be? My answer would be "D", Two fingers on the trigger guard. "A" and "B" may ruin fingerprints, and "C" is just plain stupid. My answer would have to be E none of the above. As said before, the police are there for a reason and it's their job to control and secure crime scenes.

So you choose to fail the exam and start your new career as a professional dish washer in a Chinese restaurant? The OP never said anything about the police being there and there is no "E" option. If you don't want to play along in this hypothetical exercise, then don't comment at all.

We all know what the right answer is, but it's not one of our options to choose from.

Edited by Arctickat

Guess you have never been dispatched to a shooting, that was not called in as a "shooting". I have. People do not always tell the truth when they call 911, or sometimes the caller does not know it is a shooting (ie..... person down at bus stop or side of the road, person unconscious in car or car accident where the driver was shot). With that being said, if you are not experienced in handling weapons, I would not handle it, unless you felt that someone was going to pick it up and shoot you with it. As mentioned, it is evidence of a crime, and should remain in place without tampering if possible; if you do, snap a picture with your phone before you move it, and then be prepared to go to court and testify.